Translation of shunt in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 [Railways/Ferrocarriles] cambiar de vía 1.2 (move, divert) (+ adverb complement/+ adverbio predicativo) he was shunted into the B team lo relegaron al equipo B they shunted him off to the Rocha office se lo quitaron de en medio mandándolo a la oficina de Rocha they shunted us from one window to another nos mandaban de una ventanilla a la otraExample sentences
- As the second vehicle was shunted to the side of the road, officers saw Smith apparently waving a weapon.
- Travellers are shunted into sites that are like urban slums, only without the amenities.
- Other cases have seen thieves shunt a vehicle and confront the owner after they leave their car to inspect the damage.
- For far too long now, the youths have had the feeling of having been shunted into the position of secondary citizens.
- But he'd been shunted into staff jobs instead of command positions in World War II.
- After the merger of her company, Anna, a divorced mother, finds herself suddenly removed from her old position and shunted about, even humiliated.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- (+ adverb complement/+ adverbio predicativo) the buses shunt to and fro between the airport and the town los autobuses van y vienen del aeropuerto a la ciudadExample sentences
- At Steeton railway station at a quarter to five on the morning of October 11, 1943, the Leeds-Edinburgh express collided with a freight train being shunted into a siding.
- Special trains were shunted into the sidings about twice a week with building materials for the aerodrome which was being built then.
- The train was shunted onto a siding and wreckage was strewn along 200 yards of track.
- 2 [Electricity/Electricidad] derivación (feminine)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The name of Spain's state-run post office is correos. Stamps can be bought in an