adjective shyer, shyest
- 1 1.1(smile)I felt very shy in front of all those people
tímidome sentía cohibido delante de toda esa gentedon't be shyno seas tímidohe's very shy with women
que no te dé vergüenzaes muy tímido con las mujereshe's shy about undressingle da vergüenza desnudarsedon't be shy about asking me for moneyno debe darte vergüenza pedirme dineroExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (wary, cautious) (predicative) to be shy of
- Jayalalitha, a once shy, timid, tiny introvert, was so outstanding in her studies that her portrait hangs in her school as a star alumnus with academic excellence as her only passion.
- His smile is shy, almost gentle, and his eyes dart nervously around him.
- I've gone from being shy and timid, to being quietly confident and assured.
- The Department of Conservation has been on the hunt for our national icon in the Western Bay since November - but so far the shy birds have remained out of reach.
- The shy birds were reluctant to cache when observed and often made fake deposits.
- Build a brush pile near your feeder to make sparrows, towhees, and other shy birds feel more at home, but be sure it won't harbor roaming cats.
-ingdon't be shy of telling her what you thinkno tengas miedo de decirle lo que piensasI'd be shy of getting involved in thatyo me cuidaría de meterme en eso
yo me lo pensaría dos veces antes de meterme en esoExample sentences
- I wanted to take things slow, and was shy about being intimate.
- She has never been shy of expressing her feminist opinions.
- 2 (lacking) (US) [colloquial] (predicative, no comparative) to be shy of somethingwe were shy of fundsandábamos escasos de fondosandábamos cortos de fondos [colloquial]he was four years shy of being eligible to retirele faltaban cuatro años para poder jubilarseshe came up shy (of victory) by only a few votesno ganó por unos pocos votos
le faltaron unos pocos votos para ganar
intransitive verb shies, shying, shied
- respingarher horse shied when the gun went off/at the noise
asustarseel caballo respingó al dispararse la pistola/al oír el ruidoExample sentences
- His horse shied to the right, making room on the path for the newcomer.
- Hoss jumped, and the horse shied, the twin jolts coming together in the agony of his jawbone.
- But the white horse shied away from her, his wild eyes showing their whites, ears laid back in fear.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.