adjective/adjetivo (shyer, shyest)
- 1 1.1 [person] tímido, vergonzoso; [smile] tímido; [animal] huraño, asustadizo I felt very shy in front of all those people me sentía cohibido delante de toda esa gente don't be shy no seas tímido, que no te dé vergüenza he's very shy with women es muy tímido con las mujeres he's shy about undressing le da vergüenza desnudarse don't be shy about asking me for money no debe darte vergüenza pedirme dineroMore example sentences1.2 (wary, cautious) (predicative/predicativo)to be shy of
- Jayalalitha, a once shy, timid, tiny introvert, was so outstanding in her studies that her portrait hangs in her school as a star alumnus with academic excellence as her only passion.
- His smile is shy, almost gentle, and his eyes dart nervously around him.
- I've gone from being shy and timid, to being quietly confident and assured.
-ingdon't be shy of telling her what you think no tengas miedo de decirle lo que piensas I'd be shy of getting involved in that yo me cuidaría de meterme en eso, yo me lo pensaría dos veces antes de meterme en esoMore example sentences
More example sentences
- I wanted to take things slow, and was shy about being intimate.
- She has never been shy of expressing her feminist opinions.
- The Department of Conservation has been on the hunt for our national icon in the Western Bay since November - but so far the shy birds have remained out of reach.
- The shy birds were reluctant to cache when observed and often made fake deposits.
- Build a brush pile near your feeder to make sparrows, towhees, and other shy birds feel more at home, but be sure it won't harbor roaming cats.
- 2 (lacking) (American English/inglés norteamericano) [colloquial/familiar] (predicative, no comparative/predicativo, sin comparativo) to be shy of sth we were shy of funds andábamos escasos or [colloquial/familiar] cortos de fondos he was four years shy of being eligible to retire le faltaban cuatro años para poder jubilarse she came up shy (of victory) by only a few votes no ganó por unos pocos votos, le faltaron unos pocos votos para ganar
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo (shies, shying, shied)
- respingar*, asustarse her horse shied when the gun went off/at the noise el caballo respingó al dispararse la pistola/al oír el ruido