Translation of side in Spanish:
- 1 countable (surface — of cube, record, coin, piece of paper) this side upwe laid the wardrobe on its sideeste lado hacia arribathey threw him over the sidecolocamos el armario de costado or de ladothe reverse side of the formlo arrojaron por la borda1,000 words is about three sidesel reverso del impresothe right/wrong side of the fabric1.000 palabras son más o menos tres carillasyou've got it wrong side outel derecho/revés de la tela→ coin 1 1lo tienes al revésExample sentences
- There is a side entrance from the front of the house into the kitchen pantry area.
- Turn it over and look at the top, front, back, sides and bottom.
- The house has a side entrance, large garden to the rear and off street parking.
- Cuboid cores are prepared blocky-like cubes of chert, with blades often produced on six sides.
- The album cover can only have been designed, and approved, by someone who owns dice with more than six sides.
- However, some have pointed out that many crystals have six sides rather than four.
- Encouraged, though shy, Moon started using both sides of the paper.
- Most campus printers are way cheaper when you use both sides of the paper.
- Staff and children alike reused paper, photocopied on both sides and shredded waste paper.
- You requested three or four numbers, so I have filled up one side of a cassette tape.
- There are six tracks split over two sides of vinyl, featuring daytime recording on one side and night-time workouts on the flip.
- Reliably, however, she woke up each time it was time to change sides on the tape.
- 2 countable (boundary, edge) See examples: he left it on the side of his platethey were playing by the side of the poollo dejó en el plato, a un lado or (River Plate area) a un costadothe house is by the side of a lakeestaban jugando junto a or al lado de la piscinaa hamburger with salad on the side (American English)la casa está a orillas de un lagowrite it here at the sideuna hamburguesa con una guarnición de ensaladaescríbalo aquí al margen
- 3 countable (of person) he sleeps on his sidea side of beefduerme de costado or de ladoa side of porkmedia res (feminine)Roy stood at her sidemedio cerdo (masculine)he flew in from Washington to be at her sideRoy estaba a su ladothey sat side by sidevoló desde Washington para estar con ella or para acompañarlathe houses were built side by sideestaban sentados uno junto al otro or uno al lado del otrovarious ethnic groups live side by side herelas casas estaban construidas una al lado de la otrato work side by side with somebodyvarios grupos étnicos conviven aquíto get on the wrong side of somebodytrabajar codo con codo con alguiento stay o keep on the right side of somebodyganarse la antipatía de alguienno predisponer a alguien en contra de unoExample sentences
- Preserved pork, including sides salted to make bacon, held a place of primary importance in the British diet in past centuries.
- Mounds of oysters, long sides of smoked salmon and busy chefs cooking right in front of you are assurance enough of simple stuff done well.
- Murdoch arrived just a little bit later driving a wagon laden with sides of beef and pork for the barbecue.
- 4 countable (contrasted area, part, half) the driver's/passenger's sidethey drive on the left-hand side of the road the church is on the left-hand sideel lado del conductor/pasajeroput it on the far side of the tablela iglesia está a mano izquierdashut up, he snarled out of the side of his mouthponlo en el otro extremo or en la otra punta de la mesafrom side to side—cállate —mascullóon both sides/either side of somethingde un lado al otroMary sat on one side of him and Helen on the othera ambos lados/a cada lado de algoto move to one side move this box to one sidetenía a Mary sentada de un lado y a Helen del otroto take somebody to one sidecorre la caja hacia un ladoto put something on/to one sideI'll put it to one side until I have more timellamar a alguien aparteif you pay a deposit, we'll put it to one side for youlo voy a dejar hasta que tenga más tiempothey live the other side of the bordersi nos deja un depósito se lo reservamos or se lo guardamoshe swam to the other side of the riverviven al otro lado de la fronterashe walked past on the other side of the streetnadó hasta la otra orilla or hasta el otro lado del ríothis side of somethingthe bank is this side of the stationpasó por la acera de enfrenteyou won't find a better goulash this side of Budapestel banco está antes de llegar a la estaciónit won't happen this side of the electionsolo en Budapest podrá comer un 'goulash' mejor que estehe's the right/wrong side of 40no sucederá antes de las eleccionesshe received support from all sidestiene menos/más de 40 añoson the sidehe repairs cars on the siderecibió apoyo de todos los sectoreshe was having an affair on the sidearregla coches como trabajo extra→ track 1 6 1tenía una amanteExample sentences
- This is an opening in the central wall of the heart that divides the right side from the left.
- Cut off the arms and neck hole and divide the two sides in two to make four dusters: dampen them slightly and they work a treat without the use of polish.
- The heart is a muscular pump divided into two sides.
- The first man received nine stab wounds to his chest and the left-hand side of his body.
- Nurses turned my body slowly on its side, so I could sleep and get feeling back in my legs.
- They keep me even on both sides of my body, and I can stand up without falling backwards or tipping too far forwards.
- The Evening Press reported how a van driver had come across the woman slumped in an armchair at the side of the road near shops.
- She looked up at her surroundings, surprised to note that she was near the side of a road.
- The two cars, a Volvo and a Metro, had been parked safely at the side of the road outside his home in Foxwood Lane, York.
- The public deserve to hear both sides of the argument because this is the single most important decision to face this country.
- She is a much needed conservative voice in an often liberal media, and will fight to have both sides of every argument heard.
- On Monday a planning inspector heard both sides of the argument before visiting the site.
- 5 5.1 countable (faction) See examples: to change sidesto take sides to take somebody's sidecambiarse de bandowhose side are you on? representatives from the union/management sideponerse de parte or del lado de alguienshe worked for the other siderepresentantes del sindicato/de la patronalhe came down on the side of the uniontrabajó para el enemigo5.2 countable (Sport)falló a favor del sindicatoExample sentences
Example sentences5.3 (part) See examples: on my/his side
- Previous England rugby sides, and England teams in many other sports, would have crumbled under the weight of such errors.
- Overall it was a battling team performance from both sides with the man of the match award going to Liam Chipman.
- They'll face better sides than this Monaco team, but you can only beat what's put in front of you.
por mi/su parte or lado
- He put a lot of left hand side on the cue ball, sending it round the table.
- 6 countable (area, aspect) the seamy side of New York lifethe changes have their positive sideel lado or aspecto sórdido de la vida neoyorquinato see only one side of the questionlos cambios tienen su lado or aspecto positivoa woman with many sides to her characterver solo un aspecto del asuntomy brother deals with that side of the businessuna mujer polifacética or de muchas facetasyou must listen to both sides of the storymi hermano se ocupa de esa parte or de ese aspecto del negociothis is only one side of the problemhay que oír las dos versiones or las dos campanaswe've kept our side of the bargaineste no es sino un aspecto del problemait's a little on the short/expensive sidenosotros hemos cumplido con nuestra parte del tratothe price was a bit on the high sidees un poco corto/caroto look on the bright o sunny/gloomy o black side of somethingel precio era más bien tirando a carolet's look on the bright side; he may still comever el lado positivo or bueno/negativo or malo de algoseamos optimistas, quizás todavía vengaExample sentences
- The negative side of this aspect is that self-indulgence may cause physical problems.
- According to the young bride, her wedding was the bringing together of the emotional and business sides of her character.
- His delivery and facial expressions expose the many sides of his character and even hint at his own hypocrisy.
adjective (before noun, no comparative)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In some Andean countries, particularly Chile, onces is a light meal eaten between five and six p.m., the equivalent of "afternoon tea" in Britain. In Colombia, on the other hand, onces is a light snack eaten between breakfast and lunch. It is also known as mediasnueves.