transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 [sugar/flour] tamizar*, cernir*, cerner*; (sprinkle) espolvorearMore example sentences1.2 [facts/evidence] pasar por el tamiz or la criba
- Diamonds sparkle in the radiance of my headlamp as snow sifts from an ebony sky.
- Snow was sifting down at Tiffindell ski resort near Rhodes yesterday morning, adding to over 25 cm which had fallen since Friday.
- Watch any good fell runner descending from a summit and it's like sand sifting through an egg timer.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- we'll have to sift through all the applications carefully vamos a tener que pasar todas las solicitudes por el tamiz or la cribaMore example sentences
- Rummaging through a small compartment next to her, she began to sift through old cards and small papers that she might need later on.
- Lord Hutton was asked to do a specific job: to take evidence, sift it, and reach conclusions.
- For this reason, post-publication review is very important to sifting good theory from bad.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.