Translation of sigh in Spanish:
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- suspirar to sigh
forsth/sb [literary/literario], suspirar poralgo/algnto sigh withsth he sighed with relief/contentment suspiró aliviado/satisfecho, dio un suspiro de alivio/satisfacción the wind sighed in the trees [literary/literario] el viento susurraba entre los árboles [literary/literario]Example sentences
- All he could hear was the wind sighing in the trees and the soft lap of water against the wall surrounding the lake.
- A breeze sighed through the branches and we came to a glade, a secret place of fir and silver birch.
- The constant wind that hugs the hill-side seems to sigh at the memory.
- The joys of rereading might have offered Mallarme a stronger antidote to his ennui than sighing for distant, exotic lands.
- The words she remembered said, ‘My heart cries for you, sighs for you, dies for you.’
- Film buffs in Thrissur, tired of watching classics in the DVD format at art house shows, have been sighing for that matchless experience - seeing the magic unfold on the silver screen.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The current Spanish Constitution (Constitución Española) was approved in the