Translation of significant in Spanish:
- 1.1 (important, considerable) importanteExample sentences1.2 (meaningful) [look/smile] expresivo, elocuente; [fact/remark] significativo
Example sentences1.3 (indicative) to be significant
- This work was little known about at the time but it has since emerged how significant this work proved to be.
- The next significant study of perfect numbers was made by Nicomachus of Gerasa.
- The nurses want a significant increase in their flat fee for agreeing to be on call.
- Downstairs, Martha gives Margaretha a significant look, upon which she rises and excuses herself to her guests, who leave.
- At all times and in all hours they were in deep consultation and Margarot was observed to say to Campbell, with a significant wink, "keep an eye on the old gentleman", meaning me.
ofsth [formal] ser* indicativo dealgoExample sentences
- For Fagan, the next few weeks promise to be the most significant of her year.
- Empires from Rome to Carthage fought over this most significant of nautical prizes.
- Most significant of all, we felt, was that so many divers were keen enough to queue up to have their fitness checked.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to