transitive verb/verbo transitivo (singes, singeing, singed)
- [garment/cloth] chamuscar*, quemar to singe one's beard/eyebrows chamuscarse* or quemarse la barba/las cejasMore example sentences
- Try not to set your sheets on fire or singe your eyebrows.
- ‘The inside wall was slightly singed but the fire brigade said I had been minutes away from losing the entire flat,’ he said.
- The fire also singed a turret of Holy Trinity Cathedral on Hart Street.
- quemadura (feminine) ([ superficial ])
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.