Translation of single in Spanish:
- 1 (just one) (before noun) a single issue dominated the talkswill it fit on a single page?un solo or único tema dominó las conversacionesit's the single most important issue¿cabrá en una (sola) página?the largest single shareholderes el tema más importante or de mayor importanciaevery single dayel mayor accionista individualevery single copy of the book was destroyedtodos los días sin excepcióntodos los santos días [colloquial]you disagree with every single thing I sayse destruyeron absolutamente todos los ejemplares del libro(with negative) not a single house was left standingtodo lo que digo or cada cosa que digo te parece malthere's not a single thing I likeno quedó ni una sola casa en pieI haven't found a single mistakeno hay nada que me gusteno hay ni una sola cosa que me gusteno he encontrado ni un solo errorExample sentences
- That may be true but remember those in a single income family face the same financial pressures as those with a double income.
- Boredom among children is common in those families with a single child.
- Now I keep trying to remind myself that some people are supporting whole families on a single income.
- 2 (before noun) 2.1 (for one person)(room)(bed/sheet)a single portion (of food)de una plaza (Latin America)2.2 (not double)una ración or porción individual(lens/engine/line)(flower/tulip)in single filesingle figuresen fila india or de a unocifras (feminine plural) de un solo dígitoExample sentences2.3 (one-way)
(British English) (Transport)de idaExample sentences
- Flower form can be single, semi-double, or fully double blooms that look similar to miniature roses.
- First of all, it's the prices: £55.00 for a single ticket from Manchester to Norwich.
- The £11 cash value of a single ticket was then removed, and the money was amassed over a long period of time.
- Trouble is, single tickets are going up to £2.
- Tracey has had to move into her three-year-old daughter, Sophie's, room and share her single bed.
- Finally they find a dodgy motel that has some space, but the proprietor tells them the only room left contains one single bed.
- Cell-like, there is just room for a single bed, a desk and a chest of drawers.
- 3 (unmarried) I'm singleto remain single the single lifesoy or (in Spain also) estoy solterosee also → single parentla vida de soltero/solterala solteríaExample sentences
- Even unwed single mothers have said that they want more children than they have, even in an unwed state.
- Being single after my last relationship has been a blessing.
- One second I would remember that I had spent the last couple of months of our relationship wishing I was single.
- 1 (Audio, Music) a 7-inch/12-inch singleun single/maxi-singleExample sentences
- There may be thousands of vinyl singles and long-playing albums stacked on shelves in the radio's library - but the days of loading vinyl on to a turntable are long gone.
- Fame is winning a televised talent show with a song, and then releasing a couple of singles and an album or two.
- She has already notched up three top 10 singles and is currently recording her second album in London.
- 2 2.1 (ticket)(British English)2.2 (room)boleto (masculine) or (Spain) billete (masculine) de ida(habitación (feminine) ) individual (feminine) or sencilla (feminine)Example sentences
- The end result is a photography of mythical proportions that is camouflaged in paint and operates in singles rather than multiples.
- It is sold in singles for $5.95, with complete instructions to make the style of tassel shown here.
- I could have bought a single on the train.
- 3 (unmarried person)soltero, (-ra) (masculine, feminine)(unattached adult) (persona sin pareja estable)Example sentences
- The UK's singles want relationships that don't involve their partners actually moving in, a new BBC survey has revealed.
- All the profiles are from real singles seeking sincere relationships and will always remain that way.
- He has publish Ebooks and articles on psychology, singles, relationships and Popular Culture.
- 4 (Sport) 4.1 (in baseball) 4.2 (in cricket) see also → singlesExample sentences
- He provided his usual limpet-like support for Lara, working the singles, and being content to feed the strike, as they added 169 in just over 30 overs.
- He got there by guiding the 131st ball he faced, from Irfan Pathan, to square leg for a single.
- Laker and Bailey started towards the ball, hesitated, and the batsmen scrambled a single.
- The next batter hits a line-drive single to right past an outstretched second baseman.
- The Yanks elected to intentionally walk Hunter, and a Koskie single loaded the bases.
- He gave up a pair of singles to Hank Blalock and Michael Young leading off the inning before he was relieved by Troy Percival.
- 5(dollar bill) (American English)billete (masculine) de un dólarExample sentences
- Do you have any singles?
- I can't single out any individual
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.