Translation of sir in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (as form of address — to male customer) have they arrived, sergeant? — yes, sir¿ya han llegado, sargento? — sí, mi teniente ( or mi capitán etc)Private Atkins! — Sir! (British English)¡soldado Atkins! — ¡a la orden mi teniente ( or mi sargento etc)!1.2 (in formal letters)Dear Sir/Sirs,De mi mayor consideración:Sir, (to editor of paper)
Muy señor mío/señores míos:Señor DirectorExample sentences1.3 (as intensifier) [colloquial]yes/no sir!
¡sí,/no, señor! [colloquial]he made it, yes sir!¡sí, señor! lo logró
- Dear Sir / Madam, We look for serious buyer for a coal mining exploration company.
- Dear Sir / Madam, we have logged your IP-address on more than 40 illegal Websites.
- Dear Sir, my address this afternoon consists of six parts.
- 2also: Sir(as title)sir (masculine)Sir Lancelotel caballero LanzaroteSir George Paynesir George Payne
- 3 (British English) 3.1 (teacher)el profe [colloquial]3.2 (person in authority) [humorous]el jefeExample sentences
- He cleared his throat before saying, ‘Excuse me, sirs, but if you don't calm down, we're going to have to ask you to leave.’
- ‘Please excuse me, sirs,’ Julian said quietly, then slipped away as discreetly as he could.
- We heard you say you want to get on with your life, but, with all due respect, sir, getting on with our lives isn't an option.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.