Translation of sister in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (sibling)hermana (feminine)sister nationnación (feminine) hermanaour sister newspaperun periódico de nuestro gruposister shipbuque (masculine) gemeloExample sentences1.2 (woman comrade)
- There was one room for my nine brothers and sisters and my parents.
- An extremely quiet and gentle girl she went to Dublin with her sister after their parents passed away.
- I witnessed the complete joy and ecstasy on family members faces as their son's or daughters, brothers or sisters strode out proudly with the best in the world and took part in sport.
camarada (feminine)(in feminist context) hermana (feminine)
compañera (feminine)Example sentences
Example sentences1.3 (as form of address) (American English) [slang]
- Some people around me - family, friends, associates, brothers and sisters in Christ - have died, and I can see that others are heading that way.
- This is why we are turning to our colleagues, friends, and sisters for assistance.
- I would like to remind my fellow brothers and sisters that their primary objective should be service delivery and the eradication of poverty.
- I don't think, with apologies to my feminist sisters, that Martha got different treatment because she's a woman.
- Eighteenth and nineteenth-century feminists are ‘our sisters, our contemporaries’.
- However, what is called ‘Gender Archaeology’ is actually feminist archaeology - sisters are doing it for themselves.
tía (Spain) [colloquial]
mana (Mexico) [colloquial]
piba (River Plate area) [colloquial]
galla (Chile) [colloquial]Example sentences
- Look, I wanted to write a book about smart, sassy, sexy sisters with issues like everybody else has.
- Catering was one of the most successful early business ventures for Blacks, and sisters were the first ones to try their hands at it.
- All my sisters who want a Black revolution don't care
- 2 2.1 (nun)hermana (feminine)
monja (feminine)(before name) hermanaSister Petra
Sorla hermana Petrathe Sisters of Mercy
Sor Petralas Hermanas de la CaridadExample sentences
Example sentences2.2 (nurse) (British English)
- The move would also have the result, so far scarcely noted, of undermining the teaching orders of priests and religious sisters.
- It will mark the end of an era for the religious order of sisters, who 31 years ago set up the centre in the parlour of their convent.
- An order of Zambian religious sisters now manages both the hospital and the training centre.
enfermera (feminine) jefe or jefa (a cargo de una o más salas)
- The public consultation called for a ‘modern matron figure’ in hospitals, and ward sisters or charge nurses will be given authority to resolve clinical issues.
- Each ward will have three senior sisters, sisters, staff nurses and healthcare assistants in the team on hand to help and advise patients.
- We contacted a sister or charge nurse in each department.
nurse (feminine) (Uruguay)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.