Translation of skin in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 uncountable (of person) I can't wear wool next to my skinno puedo soportar la lana en contacto con la pielshe has good/bad skintiene muy buen/mal cutishis dark skinsu tez or piel oscurathey're sisters under the skinen el fondo son muy parecidashe really gets inside the skin of his charactersse identifica totalmente con sus personajesby the skin of one's teeth she caught the plane by the skin of her teethno perdió el avión por un pelo or por los pelos [colloquial]it's no skin off my nosea mí me trae sin cuidadoit's no skin off her nose o back if you don't see a doctor
¿a mí qué me importa?no es ella la que se perjudica si tú no vas al médicoto be all skin and bonesestar hecho un esqueletoto get under somebody's skin [colloquial]
estar en los huesoscrisparle los nervios a alguiento have a thick skin
sacar a alguien de quicioser insensible a las críticasto have a thin skinser muy susceptible a las críticasto have somebody under one's skin [colloquial]estar loco por alguien [colloquial]to give somebody some skin (American English)chocar las manos con alguien (para celebrar)to jump o leap o be frightened out of one's skinI nearly jumped out of my skin when …casi me muero del susto cuando …
me llevé tremendo susto cuando … [colloquial](before noun) (cream)
para la piel(disease)skin care
de la piel
cutáneocuidado (masculine) de la piel or del cutisskin woundherida (feminine) superficial→ save1 1 1 1Example sentences1.2 uncountable or countable (of animal, bird, fish)
Example sentences1.3 uncountable or countable (of tomatoes, plums)
- Typical teen problems like zits had not touched his flawless pale skin.
- His lightly muscled tanned bare skin glistened in the sun and he felt very much like an article on display.
- The light never touched his soft, tan skin.
Example sentences1.4 uncountable or countable (of sausage)
- The Inuit made all their clothing from various animal skins and hides.
- The Sun Dance ceremony practised by Plains Indians required the skins of dead animals in order to glorify the spirit of the wolf.
- He doffed his cap, also made from the skin of a dead animal - I later learned it was a raccoon.
Example sentences1.5 uncountable (on milk, custard)
- Wheat bran and the skins of fruits and vegetables are sources of insoluble fiber.
- Peel the skin from the roast pepper halves and cut the stem off the aubergine halves.
- Simply peel away the outer skin of the kiwi and place in a hard-cooked egg slicer.
(on paint) capa (feminine) duraExample sentences
- In developing countries gut skins dominate the sausage market.
- Then, I imagine, it is pumped into sausage skins and served in a bun smothered in ketchup and mustard.
- It is a pudding in the old sense of something enclosed in a sausage skin.
- Meanwhile, thick layers of slate-colored skins began covering their exposed muscles.
- Islam is just the outer skin of an onion covering animism, Hinduism and other ancient mysteries.
- The distinctive bumpy skins are used to cover up wounds and to protect them from infection while they heal.
- To make matters worse, spinach was often on the menu and there was a skin on the milk they served for breakfast.
- It is chilly enough that where the water is calm a skin of ice has formed.
- Air must be excluded from the can by a tight-fitting lid, or a skin can form in the can.
- 2 uncountable (of vehicle, plane, ship, building)Example sentences
- The hole in the floor was covered with a sliding panel flush with the aircraft's skin.
- With the wing structure complete, the wings were then covered with aircraft grade mahogany skin.
- The longerons were good and did not need replacement but we did replace some skins on the lower fuselage.
- 3 countable (for water, wine)Example sentences
- He instead took the job of filling their water skins.
- He had finished washing his knife and had started filling up their water skins for the night.
- The water skin filled, quickly, and out of the top a stream of water burst out.
- 5 countable (Computing)skin (masculine) (conjunto de imágenes o archivo que permiten cambiar la apariencia de un programa)Example sentences
- They swapped modding techniques and hundreds of custom skins over the website message board.
- The white console is customisable too, with the ability to swap everything from the console's faceplate to the skins on the software interface.
- For example, will it be possible to use custom skins or will you release tools to allow users to build custom levels?
transitive verb -nn-
- 1 to skin somebody alivedesollar vivo a alguienskin the tomatoes
arrancarle la piel a tiras a alguienquíteles la piel a los tomates
pele los tomatesExample sentences
- Cows are still skinned and dismembered alive, and pigs are still scalded to death, just like chickens are.
- He is shown feeding the sheep and skinning a rabbit.
- Then, when he had finished, he got Zi to help him skin the deer and preserve the meat, in case they ever ran out of food.
- 2 (scrape)Example sentences
- I'm thinking about skinning my knee, getting rug burns or ‘Indian’ burns, things like that.
- If you fell and skinned your knee or caught a cold, it was because God had seen you do something wrong.
- I, however, did seriously skin both my knees and so completely stuff myself it took about 2 hours to recover.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.