Translation of slate in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 uncountable/no numerable (rock) pizarra (feminine); (before noun/delante del nombre) [roof] de pizarra, empizarradoExample sentences1.2 countable/numerable (roof tile) pizarra (feminine)
- The most resistant rocks are quartzite and quartz-rich sandstones, and tough fine-grained rocks such as slate.
- New surfaces are made from chemical compounds and are designed to mimic granite, limestone, marble, slate, or soapstone.
- It includes a variety of rocks, such as basalt, granite, gneiss, quartzite, slate, and schist.
- She said she feared loose slates and masonry could fall from the roof.
- We appear to have inherited a number of problems with roofing tiles and slates which are not always fixed with the precision and detailing required by the manufacturers (number of fixings etc).
- The council discovered that there were loose slates on the roof which would have fallen into the street without the gutter in place.
- 2 countable/numerable (for writing on) pizarra (feminine) to have a clean slate no tener* borrones en la hoja de servicios to wipe the slate clean hacer* borrón y cuenta nueva to put sth on the slate (British English/inglés británico) apuntar algo en la cuenta can you put it on the slate? ¿me lo apunta en la cuenta?, ¿me lo fía? she had quite a lot on the slate at the corner shop debía bastante dinero en la tienda de la esquinaExample sentences
- The colliery village's principle attractions are the driftwood mine, where the visitor is taken to the coalface, and the school, in which children can try out the desks and writing slates and play games of the period.
- Each of the boxes includes enough pencils, exercise books, slates and school bags for a class of up to 80 pupils.
- She is quite pleased with her knowledge about courts when she is able to pick out the jury, twelve animals and birds who are busy writing on their slates.
- 3 countable/numerable (list of candidates) (American English/inglés norteamericano) lista (feminine) de candidatosExample sentences
- At the end of 1951 the Free Officers ran their own slate of candidates for election to the board of directors of the Officers' Club in Cairo.
- As it is, the unions always run slates of candidates during the board's elections and hold caucus meetings before board meetings to discuss how teachers are going to vote.
- Nominating Committee members work together to prepare and present an annual slate of candidates for national office.
- 4 countable/numerable (listed items) (American English/inglés norteamericano) lista (feminine) de ofertasExample sentences
- He asked Don to let him have a drink on the slate but Don refused.
- One explanation for the extraordinary name of the pub relates to a long dead landlord who put the beer "on the slate" for thirsty road-makers when the track up the hill was metalled.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 2 (criticize) [book/film/writer] poner* por los suelos the novel was slated by the critics los críticos pusieron la novela por los suelos
- 3 (American English/inglés norteamericano) to be slated 3.1 (scheduled) the convention is slated for March la convención está programada para marzo they are slated to testify next week tienen que prestar declaración la semana próxima the site is slated to become a marina existen planes para convertir el lugar en un puerto deportivo 3.2 (chosen, destined) he's slated to replace the director es el candidato para sustituir al director
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Did you know that Antena 3 was Spain's first private television channel? It began broadcasting in 1989. Its proprietors include the conservative newspapers La Vanguardia and ABC.