Translation of slate in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 uncountable (rock)(before noun) (roof)
empizarradoExample sentences1.2 countable (roof tile)
- The most resistant rocks are quartzite and quartz-rich sandstones, and tough fine-grained rocks such as slate.
- New surfaces are made from chemical compounds and are designed to mimic granite, limestone, marble, slate, or soapstone.
- It includes a variety of rocks, such as basalt, granite, gneiss, quartzite, slate, and schist.
- She said she feared loose slates and masonry could fall from the roof.
- We appear to have inherited a number of problems with roofing tiles and slates which are not always fixed with the precision and detailing required by the manufacturers (number of fixings etc).
- The council discovered that there were loose slates on the roof which would have fallen into the street without the gutter in place.
- 2 countable (for writing on) to have a clean slateno tener borrones en la hoja de serviciosto wipe the slate cleanhacer borrón y cuenta nuevato put something on the slate (British English)apuntar algo en la cuentacan you put it on the slate?¿me lo apunta en la cuenta?she had quite a lot on the slate at the corner shop
¿me lo fía?debía bastante dinero en la tienda de la esquinaExample sentences
- The colliery village's principle attractions are the driftwood mine, where the visitor is taken to the coalface, and the school, in which children can try out the desks and writing slates and play games of the period.
- Each of the boxes includes enough pencils, exercise books, slates and school bags for a class of up to 80 pupils.
- She is quite pleased with her knowledge about courts when she is able to pick out the jury, twelve animals and birds who are busy writing on their slates.
- 3 countable (list of candidates)(American English)
lista (feminine) de candidatosExample sentences
- At the end of 1951 the Free Officers ran their own slate of candidates for election to the board of directors of the Officers' Club in Cairo.
- As it is, the unions always run slates of candidates during the board's elections and hold caucus meetings before board meetings to discuss how teachers are going to vote.
- Nominating Committee members work together to prepare and present an annual slate of candidates for national office.
- 4countable (listed items) (American English)
lista (feminine) de ofertasExample sentences
- He asked Don to let him have a drink on the slate but Don refused.
- One explanation for the extraordinary name of the pub relates to a long dead landlord who put the beer "on the slate" for thirsty road-makers when the track up the hill was metalled.
- The roof will be slated and the front elevations will mostly be of natural stone, and each house has a large back garden.
- The entire centre of the yard was covered and slated with a large open-ended platform at either end.
- The contractor shall inspect all surfaces prepared for slating.
- 2 (criticize)(book/film/writer)the novel was slated by the critics
poner por los sueloslos críticos pusieron la novela por los suelosExample sentences
- Although I admit to being one of those who'll slate a referee at a match, I also understand the enormous task they face once the whistle is blown.
- They both slated the referee, who, they claimed, was wrong to allow a goal scored by Dublin.
- Last December it was slated in a highly critical report released by the powerful Commons Treasury Select Committee.
- 3 (American English) to be slated 3.1 (scheduled) the convention is slated for Marchla convención está programada para marzothey are slated to testify next weektienen que prestar declaración la semana próximathe site is slated to become a marinaexisten planes para convertir el lugar en un puerto deportivo3.2 (chosen, destined) he's slated to replace the directores el candidato para sustituir al director
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.