Translation of slave in Spanish:
- esclavo, (masculine, feminine) he was sold as a slave lo vendieron como esclavo I'm not your slave! ¡yo no soy tu criado or sirviente! to be a slave
tosth ser* esclavo dealgo she's a slave to alcohol es esclava del alcoholExample sentences
- At any time, a master could confiscate any money that a slave had saved up, and the slave had no legal recourse.
- A University of Pennsylvania report estimates 750,000 women were trafficked into the U.S. as sex slaves in the past decade.
- While a slave could be raffled off or wagered at the master's whim, freeing a slave was fraught with legal obstacles.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- [colloquial/familiar] he's been slaving away all day ha estado trabajando como un negro or como un burro todo el día [colloquial/familiar]to slave
ato oversth he's been slaving (away) at o over the report for days lleva días trabajando como un negro or como un burro con el informe [colloquial/familiar] I've been slaving over a hot stove all afternoon and you say you're not hungry! ¡me he estado matando en la cocina toda la tarde y me dices que no tienes hambre!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to