Translation of slide in Spanish:
intransitive verb past tense & past participle slid
- 1 (slip) (deliberately)deslizarse(accidentally) deslizarseshe slid down the rope
resbalar(se)se deslizó por la cuerdathe plate slid (off) onto the floorel plato (se) resbaló y cayó al suelostock prices continued to slidelas cotizaciones siguieron bajandoto let things slidedejar que las cosas se vengan abajoI've let things slide in the gardentengo el jardín bastante abandonadoExample sentences
- Images of powerful creatures slide along the smooth walls.
- He slid along the smooth floor, barely managing to scramble back and grab his gun before the walls smashed together.
- A folder was thrown onto the table; it slid along the smooth surface to land in front of her.
- 2 2.1 (move smoothly, glide) (+ adverb complement) the curtain slides smoothly along the railla cortina corre or se desliza con suavidad por el rielthe door slides open/shutla puerta se abre/se cierra corriéndolashe slid quietly out of the roomsalió sigilosamente de la habitaciónthe days slid by o past without our noticinglos días transcurrieron sin que nos diéramos cuentaExample sentences2.2
also: sliding present participlesliding doorpuerta (feminine) corrediza or (de) corredera
- ‘My God, Marlon,’ purrs Sadie King as she slides her hand seductively along the vicar's leg while reaching for her pint of mild.
- We slide our hands along our scarves before wrapping them around our bodies.
- Then he grabbed the keys to his car, extending the ignition key, and grabbed her wrist, sliding it along forcefully.
transitive verb past tense & past participle slid
- (+ adverb complement) she slid the book across the table toward himle pasó el libro deslizándolo por la mesahe slid his hand along the wallpasó la mano por la paredto slide the bolt backcorrer el cerrojohe slid the letter back into his pocketse volvió a meter la carta en el bolsilloshe slid a coin into his handle pasó disimuladamente una moneda
- 1 1.1 (in playground, pool)tobogán (masculine)
resbaladilla (feminine) (Mexico)
rodadero (masculine) (Colombia)
resbalín (masculine) (Chile)Example sentences1.2 (on ice, slope)
- Across from school was a big public playground, filled with swing sets and slides and jungle gyms and merry-go-rounds.
- All the traditional features, such as climbing frames, swings, see-saws and slides, can be seen but there is so much more besides.
- We had real playgrounds with merry-go-rounds and metal slides and wooden see saws, all placed on concrete.
- Another time, I remember building a slide out of snow in the backyard with my sister and cousins.
- This fall a toboggan slide will be developed at Hespeler Park.
- The toboggan slide has three individual sliding channels and rubber tubes are provided for the riders.
- 2 2.1 (action — accidental)(— deliberate) deslizamiento (masculine)Example sentences2.2 (decline — in prices)
(— in standards) decadencia (feminine)the slide in stock pricesla caída or la baja de las cotizaciones
- A lone bolt would halt some of the slide, but not enough to warrant any comfort.
- Keeping the front wheels pointing in the direction of travel will also aid traction and help prevent a power-sapping slide.
- The slide came, the slope caught them and the wheels came off.
- 3 3.1 (Photography) to show slidespasar or proyectar diapositivas ( or transparencias etc)(before noun) slide magazine(rectangular) bandeja (feminine)(circular) carrusel (masculine)a slide showExample sentences3.2 (for microscope — glass plate)
(— specimen) muestra (feminine)Example sentences
- The easiest way is to print the image on a transparency slide (the ones normally used for an overhead projector) with a laser printer.
- Thus, in this room right now, we are converting electrical energy into light energy in the projector that is beaming images from my slides to the screen before you.
- Other drawings and photographs, projected as slides or mounted on easels, picked out details of the city, highlighting the jumble of old and new.
- The measurements are performed in vitro, with a DNA construction anchored between a glass microscope slide and a silica bead.
- Two Pt electrodes separated by 1.1 cm were attached to a glass microscope slide, and the space between the electrodes was filled with the cell suspension.
- The machine then applies a thin, even layer of cells to a microscope slide for examination.
- 4 (for hair) (British English) → barretteExample sentences
- It was held in place in the hair by means of a slide or vertical hair pin.
- Top off the look with a belly skimming T-shirt or airy peasant blouse, flowing hippie hair, and a pair of beaded slides.
- I dug about for my straighteners and a new slide to separate my hair.
- 5 (Music) 5.1 (sequence of notes)apoyatura (feminine) doble5.2 (on instrument)vara (feminine) correderaExample sentences
- His dark hair fell into his eyes as he looked down the slide of his instrument, inspecting the dent that his fall had put in it the day before.
- At first he merely toyed with the instrument, running a slide up and down and picking out series of notes almost like scales.
- The slide is a smooth satin black, with almost all of its corners rounded.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.