Translation of slim in Spanish:
- 1.1 (thin)(waist)
fino(volume/column)the industry is now considerably slimmer
finola industria se ha racionalizado considerablementeExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (scant)
- He was slim to medium build, with cropped, mousy brown hair and spoke with a local accent.
- He was slim and strong, built like a rapier and just as fast.
- His skin was very pale and he was slim and not built up at all.
- It's gold and has a slim strap with a narrow oval face, which sparkles as if it had been sprinkled with extra fine glitter.
- New recruits should opt for slim ties - narrow to medium-narrow width.
- Manufacturer and retail catalogs also featured the guard or keeper ring, a plain slim gold band worn over the diamond ring to keep it in place.
escaso(majority)on the slimmest of pretexts
estrechocon el más mínimo pretextoExample sentences
- She has a slim chance of success, yet the financial world is slowly replacing their faith in her appeal.
- Giving birth seems like a fragile process, fraught with danger, with a slim chance of success - rather than a completely natural thing as it should be.
- Most English Catholics were appalled by news of the plot, realizing the slim chance of success, and that failure would lead to further repression.
intransitive verb -mm-
- 1.1 (become slimmer)(person)
bajar de peso(industry)1.2
racionalizarse(British English) (diet)I'm slimming
hacer régimen or dietaestoy a régimen or a dietaExample sentences
- With half of all Britons overweight, the government's plan to get us to slim down looks like a daunting task.
- Although Gemma has been a keen supporter of strongman competitions since she was small, she only started training in a gym six months ago, in an attempt to slim down for her singing career.
- A nutrition expert slammed the ‘lose weight’ order saying the pop world had gone mad if the girls had been told to slim down.
- Some of the big news sites tried coping by slimming down the size of their pages and adding servers, but this helped only marginally.
- Mrs Candler said books would remain important to the Discovery Centre, although the reference side might be slimmed down to reduce duplication.
- Five boxes of business cards were slimmed down to three - two of mine, and one full of other people.
transitive verb -mm-
- (business)they submitted a slimmed down budget
racionalizarpresentaron un presupuesto más reducidoExample sentences
- His body was slimmed down for endurance, but he still had the muscles that bespoke several trips to the gym each week.
- Pop culture glamorizes their muscular bodies but, at the same time, is more preoccupied than ever with slimming women down to an impossible ideal.
- And the tiny straps of her stiletto heels slimmed her already perfect pins to the ideal.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.