Translation of slum in Spanish:
- 1.1 (often plural/frecuentemente plural) (poor urban area) barrio (masculine) bajo, barriada (feminine) (Latin America except Southern Cone/América Latina excepto Cono Sur) , barrio (masculine) de conventillos (Southern Cone/Cono Sur) (before noun/delante del nombre) slum dweller barriobajero, (masculine, feminine) slum dwelling tugurio (masculine) 1.2 (filthy place) [colloquial/familiar] [pejorative/peyorativo] pocilga (feminine), chiquero (masculine) (Latin America/América Latina)Example sentences
- However, there is still a large segment of the population which lives in urban slums and poor rural areas without electricity or running water.
- The appalling social situation in Iran has been highlighted by recent reports of protest marches in working class urban areas and slum districts.
- The plague was only finally brought under control in 1666 when the Great Fire of London burned down the areas most affected by plague - the city slums inhabited by the poor.
- It is reasonable to argue that we should not be building today houses that are thermal slums; too cold in winter and too hot in summer.
- By-law violations that turn residential buildings into slums are not the only matters the municipal courts will be dealing with.
- Have they looked at the social consequences of building tomorrow's slums today and what provisions are being put in place to deal with these in the long term?
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo (-mm-)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The Defensor del pueblo is an ombudsman nominated by the Spanish Parliament to defend the rights of citizens against government maladministration. If he upholds a complaint he advises the administration on appropriate compensation. This post, under the same name, also exists in some Latin American countries.