Translation of slum in Spanish:
- 1.1 (often plural/frecuentemente plural) (poor urban area) barrio (masculine) bajo, barriada (feminine) (Latin America except Southern Cone/América Latina excepto Cono Sur) , barrio (masculine) de conventillos (Southern Cone/Cono Sur) (before noun/delante del nombre) slum dweller barriobajero, (masculine, feminine) slum dwelling tugurio (masculine) 1.2 (filthy place) [colloquial/familiar] [pejorative/peyorativo] pocilga (feminine), chiquero (masculine) (Latin America/América Latina)Example sentences
- However, there is still a large segment of the population which lives in urban slums and poor rural areas without electricity or running water.
- The appalling social situation in Iran has been highlighted by recent reports of protest marches in working class urban areas and slum districts.
- The plague was only finally brought under control in 1666 when the Great Fire of London burned down the areas most affected by plague - the city slums inhabited by the poor.
- It is reasonable to argue that we should not be building today houses that are thermal slums; too cold in winter and too hot in summer.
- By-law violations that turn residential buildings into slums are not the only matters the municipal courts will be dealing with.
- Have they looked at the social consequences of building tomorrow's slums today and what provisions are being put in place to deal with these in the long term?
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo (-mm-)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The name of Spain's state-run post office is correos. Stamps can be bought in an