Translation of slum in Spanish:
- 1 (often plural) (poor urban area)barrio (masculine) bajobarriada (feminine) ( (Latin America) exc (Southern Cone) )barrio (masculine) de conventillos (Southern Cone)(before noun) slum dwellerbarriobajero, (-ra) (masculine, feminine)slum dwellingExample sentences
- However, there is still a large segment of the population which lives in urban slums and poor rural areas without electricity or running water.
- The appalling social situation in Iran has been highlighted by recent reports of protest marches in working class urban areas and slum districts.
- The plague was only finally brought under control in 1666 when the Great Fire of London burned down the areas most affected by plague - the city slums inhabited by the poor.
- 2 (filthy place) [colloquial] [pejorative]Example sentences
- It is reasonable to argue that we should not be building today houses that are thermal slums; too cold in winter and too hot in summer.
- By-law violations that turn residential buildings into slums are not the only matters the municipal courts will be dealing with.
- Have they looked at the social consequences of building tomorrow's slums today and what provisions are being put in place to deal with these in the long term?
intransitive verb -mm-
- to go slummingvisitar los barrios bajos ( or las barriadas etc)Example sentences
- Kicked out of east-coast prep schools and facing the glum prospect of a military academy, Igby goes slumming in lower Manhattan, but there's a porous border between moneyed respectability and penniless Bohemia.
- Doing that among the Madison Square Garden crowd where ritzy ladies sported rhinestone and diamanté ‘W’ pins would be like forcing the country club to go slumming on a nice summer's day.
- But it makes me feel a bit low and dirty, as though I'd been participating in slumming or walking through a madhouse in the 18th Century to laugh at the inmates.
transitive verb -mm-
- to slum itvivir a lo pobreExample sentences
- The good news is that the cooking is better than average, and you won't be slumming it as the place is extremely comfortable.
- It's always a pleasure when a museum slums it with a pop culture show.
- Both films have respected older actors slumming it as bad guys.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.