Translation of smear in Spanish:
- 1 (stain) there was a smear of lipstick on his collartenía una mancha or una marca de lápiz labial en el cuelloExample sentences
- He slid down the wall, leaving a smear of blood to mark his trail, he struggled to keep his eyes open as he saw a figure move towards him.
- This is because the tubular orange or yellow flowers end with the petals opening wide to look like a mouth which has a large glossy black splodge on it that looks like a smear of sticky jam.
- Across one cheek was a scrape; tiny smears of dried blood speckled her mottled skin below her eye.
- 2 (slander, slur) he was the subject of an attempted smearintentaron difamarlo or desprestigiarloExample sentences
- Prime Minister Tony Blair and his colleagues took Gilligan's report as a serious smear on their reputations.
- Secondly, many if not most false negative smears can be detected on re-examination, but what does this mean from the legal point of view?
- Yesterday The Guardian printed a report by John Sutherland branding bloggers of unfairly smearing Rachel Corries' good name - the article then proceeded to indulge in some choice smears of its own.
- 3 (Medicine) 3.1 (sample) 3.2smear (test)Example sentences
- Editor Cuzick et al have reported that testing for human papilloma virus might be used for triage of women with low grade abnormal smears in the NHS cervical screening programmes.
- In addition, sputum smears and cultures, immunologic assessments, and chest X-ray interpretations were performed without knowledge of treatment assignment.
- A skin test and sputum smears for tuberculosis were negative.
- At external examination, blood smears on the body surface resulting from hematemesis or melena were present in 40 cases.
- Diagnosis in leishmaniasis depends on microscopic detection of amastigotes in smears of tissue aspirates or biopsy samples.
- Immunophenotyping is beneficial clinically because in many situations variant types of benign and malignant lymphoid cells resemble one another in routinely stained tissue sections and smears.
- 1 1.1 (spread, daub) See examples:to smear something
on(to)/ oversomething(paint/grease)embadurnar algo dealgo(butter)the child smeared paint all over the mirroruntar algo conalgohe smeared the butter thinly on the breadel niño embadurnó todo el espejo de pinturato smear somethinguntó el pan con una capa fina de mantequilla withsomethingshe smeared her face with creamthe walls were smeared with filthse embadurnó la cara de or con cremaher face was smeared with bloodlas paredes estaban cubiertas de mugre1.2 (smudge)tenía la cara manchada de sangretenía la cara ensangrentada(make-up/ink/paint)don't smear my lipstick¡no me corras el lápiz de labios!Example sentences
- ‘Honey,’ the therapist says as he smears a new substance onto my back.
- They smeared chocolate and vanilla ice cream all over each other's faces.
- Amy set the soon-to-be pizza crust in front of her children, who smeared the pasta sauce from a jar across it.
- 2 (slander, libel)Example sentences
- At the press conference, Tsai signed a statement promising not to abuse any person's character, smear anyone's reputation or engage in personal attacks.
- There's almost nothing you can do when people are determined to smear you like this to completely contain the damage.
- We naturally assumed that ‘Bring it on’ meant Boyd had the guts to meet us face to face in a fair debate, rather than smearing us in a hit-and-run attack on the pages of his own newspaper.
- (paint/ink/lipstick)correrseExample sentences
- She didn't completely understand why the sepia still photos looked like they'd been smudged, smeared or painted.
- The place of meeting was written in her red lipstick and was slightly smeared, but Delilah could manage to decipher its message.
- Overweight local opera would-be stars were splattered in mid-aria, and in wiping away the blue paint, it smeared and didn't come off.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to