Translation of smoke in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (from fire) the smoke-filled roomto go up in smoke (hopes)la habitación llena or cargada de humoesfumarsedesvanecerse(ambitions/plans)(books/papers)there's no smoke without fire, where there's smoke there's firequemarse(before noun) smoke bluecuando el río suena … (piedras lleva or agua lleva or (River Plate area) agua trae or (Chile) piedras trae)smoke grayazul (masculine) grisáceogris (masculine) humoExample sentences1.2 (London) (British English) [colloquial] [dated] the Smoke
- Choking acrid smoke from the burning building engulfed nearby streets and flames could be seen leaping high into the sky.
- When Mr Glister opened the back door to the club he was met by intense heat and thick smoke from his burning car.
- He said the large volume of smoke was caused by burning tar.
- 2 2.1 countable (cigarette) [colloquial] 2.2 (act) (no plural) to have a smokeI must have a smokefumarse un cigarrillome muero por fumarme un cigarrilloExample sentences2.3 uncountable (marijuana) [slang]
- Plus, when he went outside the apartment to take a quick smoke, he just looked like those fathers on the 50's sitcoms.
- He says that he'd like one of his cigarettes for a smoke, then runs and smashes his hand through the window and gets a carton.
- Although I was trying to quit smoking, the beer gave me a bad craving and when Mike went for a smoke, I followed and asked to bum one.
- Chandler pulled out his pack of cigarettes and lit his smoke, after leaning me against the building so I didn't fall over.
- I heard a voice say hey youngfella, have you got a smoke. I gave him one and we start talking. I ask him how long he has been here.
- "I came to smoke and talk with my cousin," said Slim Coyote, "so give me a smoke while I'm waiting. He won't mind, he's my cousin."
- Expect quiet here today, as I'm off to The Smoke for the day.
- As you know I had high hopes for this trip to the Smoke.
- Apparently you can get an illegal handgun down in the Smoke for as little as 2-300.
- 1(person)do you smoke?do you mind if I smoke?¿fumas?¿te molesta que fume or si fumo?Example sentences
- The report also showed 10 per cent of pupils were tobacco smokers - smoking at least one cigarette a week.
- There are indications that using smokeless tobacco could be as detrimental to fetal health as cigarette smoking.
- There is no ventilation system that reduces or eliminates the carcinogenic products of second-hand smoke or the sidestream smoke from cigarette smoking.
- 2 (give off smoke)the fire was still smokingechar humothe chimney was smoking in the distancetodavía salía humo de la hoguerala hoguera todavía humeabathat wood is smoking badlyse veía a lo lejos el humo de la chimeneaesa madera echa mucho humoExample sentences
- The fire smoked on, until eventually a fireman was given the all-clear to escort me safely to my door.
- The fires had to be lit and sometimes were left burning all night if there was a smoke problem, as a ‘clear’ fire never smoked.
- Ships were still smoking and fires kept breaking out on the harbor and Matt knew that no matter what happened after this, he would never forget it.
- 1(cigarettes/tobacco)I smoke ten a dayhe smokes a pipe(me) fumo diez al díado you mind if I smoke my pipe?fuma en pipa¿te molesta si enciendo or (in Latin America also) prendo la pipa?
- 2 (cure)(fish/meat/cheese)Example sentences
- Smoked salmon can be substituted by any oily fish or even smoked venison or duck.
- The latter are dumplings made with Bauernspeck, carefully cured and smoked bacon, a prominent speciality of the whole of the Tyrol.
- Use a smoked gammon knuckle, smoked ham hock or whatever smoked bacon bones you can find - or talk your butcher into selling you the ham bone when they get to the end of carving off the meat.
- 1.1 (flush out)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to