Translation of smother in Spanish:
- 1.1 (stifle)Example sentences
Example sentences1.2 (suppress)
- Without even asking Desdemona if it is true or not, Othello kills her by smothering her.
- He told the trial at Reading Crown Court he could find ‘no clear evidence’ to suggest that any of Patel's three babies had been smothered or deliberately suffocated.
- It was claimed she had smothered baby Christopher at the family's home in Wilmslow, Cheshire, and either did the same to Harry or shook him to death.
- Extinguish or smother the fire on the drapes with wet towels and water.
- But once we got some foam to cover the bulk of the fire and smother the flames we were able to bring it under control much quicker.
- One way to smother a small fire is to cover it with a heavy blanket.
echar tierra sobre(doubts)all opposition was smothered by the regime
acallarel régimen acalló toda oposiciónhe tried to smother his angertrató de contenerse or dominarseExample sentences1.3 (cover profusely)to smother somebody/something
- I had realized he was special then, but I smothered the feeling.
- Maybe trying to smother your feelings right now is not the healthiest thing for you.
- ‘the state can sometimes become part of the problem, by smothering the enthusiasm of its citizens’.
with/ insomethingthey smothered us with kindnessnos colmaron de atencionesshe smothered him with kisses he smothers everything in tomato saucetodo lo come bañado en salsa de tomateExample sentences
- David lowered his mouth onto Trixie's, then smothered her entire face with kisses.
- When I was asked to cover a Territorial Army competition I jumped at the chance of donning Army fatigues and smothering my face in camouflage paint.
- In July, crews fighting a blaze in a three-acre manure lagoon at a dairy farm in Washington smothered the flames with more of the same - a blanket of wet cow manure.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.