Translation of sniff in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 2 (say scornfully) decir* con desdén or desdeñosamenteExample sentences
- In the past, some elitists have sniffed at her for precisely these reasons, but her fans love her as much for who she is as for her beautiful voice.
- Five years ago we just would not even have sniffed at those awards.
- The predator sniffed at her prey once more, suddenly doubting that she had caught a genuine mate.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 [animal] husmear, olfatear, olisquear [person] stop sniffing! ¡no hagas ese ruido con la nariz!, ¡no te sorbas la nariz! I miss him, she said sniffing —lo echo de menos —dijo, tratando de no llorar she sniffed audibly when I told her how much it had cost resopló cuando le dije cuánto había costado to sniff
atsth [person] oler* algo [animal] olfatear or olisquear algo 1.2 (be dismissive) to sniff atsth/sb despreciar or desdeñar algo/a algn it's not to be sniffed at no es de despreciar or desdeñar, no es para hacerle ascos [colloquial/familiar]Example sentences
- Rather than give an answer, the major sniffed the air, heavy with the scent of cooking.
- She moved among the ashes sniffing the air hoping to pick up on his scent.
- He sniffs the air and finds the scent of the pizza.
- 1.1 (act, sound) I heard sobs and sniffs coming from her bedroom oí sollozos y resuellos que venían de su habitación she gave a sniff to clear her nose aspiró fuerte para despejarse la nariz she gave a sniff and turned her back on me dio un resoplido y me volvió la espalda to have a sniff of sth oler* algo have a sniff of this huele esto one sniff of the gas and he felt drowsy con una inhalación del gas ya se sintió adormecido 1.2 (smell) olor (masculine), olorcillo (masculine)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Did you know that Antena 3 was Spain's first private television channel? It began broadcasting in 1989. Its proprietors include the conservative newspapers La Vanguardia and ABC.