- 2 (say scornfully) decir* con desdén or desdeñosamenteMore example sentences
- In the past, some elitists have sniffed at her for precisely these reasons, but her fans love her as much for who she is as for her beautiful voice.
- Five years ago we just would not even have sniffed at those awards.
- The predator sniffed at her prey once more, suddenly doubting that she had caught a genuine mate.
- 1.1 [animal] husmear, olfatear, olisquear [person] stop sniffing! ¡no hagas ese ruido con la nariz!, ¡no te sorbas la nariz! I miss him, she said sniffing —lo echo de menos —dijo, tratando de no llorar she sniffed audibly when I told her how much it had cost resopló cuando le dije cuánto había costado to sniff
atsth [person] oler* algo [animal] olfatear or olisquear algo 1.2 (be dismissive) to sniff atsth/sb despreciar or desdeñar algo/a algn it's not to be sniffed at no es de despreciar or desdeñar, no es para hacerle ascos [colloquial/familiar]More example sentences
- Rather than give an answer, the major sniffed the air, heavy with the scent of cooking.
- She moved among the ashes sniffing the air hoping to pick up on his scent.
- He sniffs the air and finds the scent of the pizza.
sniff outverb + adverb + object/verbo + adverbio + complemento
- 1.1 [dog] descubrir* husmeando or olfateando 1.2 [crime/danger] olerse*
- 1.1 (act, sound) I heard sobs and sniffs coming from her bedroom oí sollozos y resuellos que venían de su habitación she gave a sniff to clear her nose aspiró fuerte para despejarse la nariz she gave a sniff and turned her back on me dio un resoplido y me volvió la espalda to have a sniff of sth oler* algo have a sniff of this huele esto one sniff of the gas and he felt drowsy con una inhalación del gas ya se sintió adormecidoMore example sentences1.2 (smell) olor (m), olorcillo (m)
More example sentences
- The sounds of her occasional sniffs could be heard.
- The soft kid slippers she wore on her feet made a sound like short quick sniffs.
- The sound of an occasional sniff twisted the pain even deeper.
- He look a deep sniff of the substance and smiled.
- Keep them there for a while, just long enough for them to have been put through the mill a bit and caught a sniff of final victory, then rip the carpet from under them at the very last minute.
- But you can definitely see some clubs having a bit of a sniff of him because the lad has a lot to offer.