- 1 (not drunk) sobrio I am perfectly sober estoy perfectamente sobrio or despejado we'll talk about it when you're sober lo hablaremos cuando estés sobrio or cuando se te haya pasado la borrachera or cuando te hayas despejadoMore example sentences
- Drunk or sober, he was driven by a manic energy and impatience that made him a difficult friend and an almost impossible husband and father.
- I got my bearings reasonably quickly, though, despite spending more time drunk than sober in the city centre.
- Trust me, I've been around a few drunks and being sober and standing there trying to understand what they are saying is hard enough.
- 2 2.1 (serious, grave) [expression] grave; [young man] serio, formal; [occasion] formal 2.2 (rational, moderate) [attitude/view] sobrio, sensato the sober facts los hechos tal cual sonMore example sentences2.3 (subdued) [dress/colors/decor] sobrio
More example sentences
- The coverage was serious, it was sober, it was comprehensive, and the press really seemed in tune with the surge of patriotism in the country.
- Instead, such a point should be one for sober and serious analysis of how we can address some of our key weaknesses and lay the foundations for future growth.
- Their manifesto is sensible and sober, identifying issues that concern real people…
- Trouser suits and sober colours probably describe me best.
- Kennedy, dressed in a sober grey suit, blushed as the press urged him to kiss his wife on the lips.
- ‘I think I look a bit silly,’ he said as he surveyed the more sober colours surrounding the entrance to the County Stand.
sober downverb + adverb/verbo + adverbio
- verb + adverb/verbo + adverbio 1.1 [drunk person] come back when you've sobered up vuelve cuando estés sobrio or cuando se te haya pasado la borrachera or cuando te hayas despejado 1.2 (become serious) sentar* cabeza 1.1verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento 2.1 [drunk person] despejar 2.2 (make serious) hacer* sentar cabeza
Browse other language resources
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Cultural fact of the day
The Lotería Nacional is a Spanish state-run lottery founded in 1812. There is an