Translation of society in Spanish:
noun plural -ties
- 1 1.1 uncountable and countable (community) a danger to societyin literary societyun peligro para la sociedadin polite/middle-class societyen círculos literariosentre la gente educada/de clase mediaExample sentences1.2 uncountable (fashionable elite) in New York society
to enter societyen la (alta) sociedad neoyorquinaentrar or ser presentado en sociedad(before noun) (party/wedding)de sociedadExample sentences
- This is one of Morrison's constant themes, the importance of class as well as race and gender in American society.
- Archer is thankful that his future wife knows and follows the manners and customs of New York society.
- In traditional Aboriginal society, goods were shared, but in a highly structured and ritualistic way.
- Gradually courtesans became passé and geisha rose in status to become glittering and fashionable society women.
- At the London, Merrick became a celebrity, an object of curiosity, visited by fashionable society women and royalty.
- John photographed many society weddings and advertised by putting his work in a glass showcase outside the studio.
- 2 countable (association, club) a literary societya charitable societyuna sociedad literariaun círculo literarioa chess societyuna asociación or sociedad or organización benéficaun club or círculo de ajedrezExample sentences
- Young people should get a greater say in how clubs and societies are run, and should have the option of more meaningful activities.
- The student society's external relations officer said he is looking forward to working with the group.
- Many met together regularly for Bible teaching, prayer and mutual spiritual help in the newly organised religious societies.
- 3 uncountable (company) [formal] to enjoy/seek somebody's societydisfrutar de/buscar la compañía de alguienExample sentences
- Women who had children born out of wedlock were shunned in Irish society while men were often be given the benefit of the doubt.
- The mental health charity Turning Point and homeless charities were astonished by her ease with people shunned by society.
- Ben is a genetic throwback to Neanderthal man, shunned by family and society for his stupidity and ugliness.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.