Translation of solitary in Spanish:
- 1 (alone)(person/disposition/life/journey)a solitary place
solitarioun lugar solitario or apartadoExample sentences
- Shrek himself (voiced by Mike Myers) is an unpleasant, solitary ogre who lives alone in a swamp.
- I dined in solitary state, all alone in the castle's gilt-and-blue dining hall.
- A solitary bad person sitting alone, harbouring genocidal thoughts, and wishing he ruled the world is not a problem unless he lives next to us in the trailer park.
- 2 (single) (before noun) not a (single) solitary person has written to meno me ha escrito ni una sola personathey haven't a solitary piece of evidenceno tienen ni una sola pruebathere was one solitary casehubo un único or solo casoExample sentences
- Nancy & Lee also had a solitary UK hit single: the glorious, saucy, surreal ‘Did You Ever?’
- Every single, solitary person admitted was female.
- Laid out before you, you have 73 different types of fruit - a succulent, juicy example of every variety you can think of - but not one single, solitary apple.
- 3 (Botany, Zoology)(bee/elephant/bird)
- Other faunal elements include colonial and solitary corals, encrusting bryozoans, stromatoporoids, and rare brachiopods.
- However, little is known about costs of parental investment in insects, particularly in solitary as well as social aculeate Hymenoptera.
- While a few hydrozoans, such as Hydra, are solitary polyps, most live in colonies made up of anywhere from a few to thousands of individual polyps.
- The solitary flowers are borne on long, wiry pedicels.
- Petioles of huge solitary leaves of mature plants of Amorphophallus resemble tree trunks supporting an umbrella-like crown.
- Pelliciera has solitary flowers that are accompanied by two large coloured prophylls.
noun plural solitaries
- 1 uncountable (solitary confinement) [colloquial] he's been in solitary for five dayshace cinco días que está incomunicadoExample sentences
- Does he get punished, does he ever get in the solitary?
- Consequently, a further 200 prisoners who did a solitary stretch may now seek a wad of cash, courtesy of the taxpayer, taking the total to millions of dollars.
- After leaving solitary, he will ultimately be sent to a different minimum-security facility.
- 2 countable (recluse) [literary]solitario, (-ria) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- This question applies with particular acuteness to the situation of hermits or solitaries.
- Who would have thought that Christian solitaries from the Egyptian desert of late antiquity would speak with such authority to us today?
- For the significance of the outlaw to Dylan is less that of the rebel and more the solitary who rejects established religion for the direct inspiration of truth.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.