Today is Fiesta de Santiago (St James' Day). The famous Camino de Santiago, the pilgrimage of thousands of people from all over Spain and many other parts of Europe to the holy city of Santiago de Compostela, takes place in the week leading up to St James' Day, 25 July. The city also has its fiestas around this time. The streets are full of musicians and performers for two weeks of celebrations culminating in the Festival del Apóstol.
- 1.1 c (person) somalí (mf)More example sentences
More example sentences1.2 u (language) somalí (m)
- Readers learn something about Somalis and Muslims and about the quiet, often-unseen battles being waged each day over culture and tradition.
- Unlike other Muslims, Somalis believe that both their religious and secular leaders have the power to bless and to curse people.
- In a metropolis which is 60 percent white, Somalis are not only African but Muslim as well, making them targets of racism and prejudice manifested in housing discrimination, hate crimes and police brutality.
More example sentences
- There are photographs of Iraqis, Kurds, Somalis and refugees from the former Soviet Union.
- The measure affected Afghans, Somalis and Chechens facing return to regions beset by civil wars or with no functioning government.
- It was part of a nationwide crackdown on the centers that Somalis use to send money home to family members.
- All Somalis speak Somali, the official language.
- It is home to people of different national origins whose first languages include Somali, Hindi, Urdu and Bengali.
- The desert-dwelling peoples of the Southeast speak dialects of Somali.