- 1 (concession) sop
tosomething/somebodyas a sop to somebody's feelings/pridepara no herir los sentimientos/el amor propio de alguienshe gave him the job as a sop to her consciencele dio el empleo para acallar su concienciaExample sentences
- Media pundits have suggested it was a sop to appease the right wing in the cabinet.
- The great powers were focused on collective security; it was as a concession, a sop, that they consented to a peripheral project regarding human rights.
- The main sop is a pledge to increase markets for US goods overseas by carrying out a more aggressive trade policy against Europe and Japan.
- 2also: sops plural(of bread etc)sopas (feminine plural)Example sentences
- At this time sops - pieces of bread - were used to soak up liquid mixtures, and these were often first toasted, which reduced their tendency to disintegrate.
- By chance I'd had them the day before as a satisfactory sop for a piece of grilled sea bass at Kensington Place in west London.
- As such, soups or sops, as they were also known, became a dish with its own distinction, so did bisque.