adjective/adjetivo (-rier, -riest)
- 1 (predicative/predicativo) 1.1 (grieved, sad) I'm sorry lo siento oh, I am sorry; when did it happen? ¡cuánto lo siento!; ¿cuándo ocurrió? I'm very sorry, but I can't help you lo siento mucho or lo siento en el alma, pero no te puedo ayudarto feel o be sorry
forsb I feel so sorry for you/him te/lo compadezco I felt o was so sorry for him when he got turned down me dio mucha pena or lástima cuando lo rechazaron to feel sorry for oneself lamentarse de su ( or tu etc) suerte he was looking very sorry for himself tenía un aspecto muy triste or abatidoto be sorry aboutsb/sth I'm very sorry about what happened siento or lamento mucho lo que ocurrió I'm sorry about Clara having to have that operation siento que Clara tenga que operarseto be sorry to + infinitive/infinitivoI'm sorry to hear you didn't get the job siento que no te hayan dado el puesto I wasn't sorry to see the back of him no me apenó or no lamenté que se fuera I'm sorry to have to tell you that … siento tener que decirte que … to be sorry ( that) sentir* que+ subjunctive/subjuntivoI'm sorry you can't come siento or lamento que no puedas venirMore example sentences1.2 (apologetic, repentant) to say sorry pedir* perdón, disculparse I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you perdóname or lo siento or disculpa, no fue mi intención ofenderte sorry to bother you, but … perdone or disculpe que lo moleste, pero … to be sorry
- ‘I am sorry for Mrs McCabe and I'm sorry her husband was killed - we have no argument with her,’ Mr Adams added.
- They are sorry for the inconvenience to customers, but not that sorry.
- I'm sorry for being so damned insensitive in the first place, and I'm sorry about the whole Steve thing.
for/ aboutsth arrepentirse* dealgo you'll be sorry (for this)! ¡te arrepentirás (de esto)!, ¡me las vas a pagar! aren't you the least bit sorry for what you've done? ¿no sientes ningún remordimiento por lo que has hecho? I'm really sorry about the dull meal siento mucho que la comida sea tan pobre I'm very/terribly/awfully sorry about last night siento muchísimo lo de anoche, mil perdones por lo de anocheto be sorry ( that) I'm sorry I didn't make it to your party siento no haber podido ir a tu fiesta I'm only sorry I didn't leave sooner lo único que lamento es no haberme ido antesMore example sentences
- We are very sorry that Mrs Collins has experienced distress, and we are still waiting to establish the facts.
- One juror identified as Roy said a lot of people want you to have sympathy for her and feel sorry.
- I am sorry to hear of your distress, but I assure you that this is not an uncommon problem.
- 2 (as interjection/como interjección) 2.1 (expressing apology) perdón, lo siento (awfully/so) sorry! (British English/inglés británico) ¡perdone!, ¡disculpe! sorry, I didn't realize it was you perdona or perdóname or disculpa or discúlpame, no me había dado cuenta de que eras tú 2.2 (asking speaker to repeat) (British English/inglés británico) ¿cómo (dice)? sorry? I didn't quite catch that ¿cómo? no le he oído bienMore example sentences2.3 (expressing disagreement) lo siento (I'm) sorry, but I disagree lo siento pero no estoy de acuerdo
More example sentences
- So sorry, just to understand your question, if an ET1 is received, what would we like to be doing immediately?
- I may post more later, if I can sort out my thoughts better (my brain is slush at the moment, sorry!)
- But if pre-Christians come expecting God - sorry!
- And I lost his answer, sorry!
- 3 (pitiful, miserable, regrettable) (before noun/delante del nombre) [tale] lamentable, lastimoso he was a sorry sight tenía un aspecto lamentable, daba pena verlo the house was in a sorry state when we got back la casa estaba en un estado lamentable cuando volvimosMore example sentences
More example sentences
- A neglected garden is a sorry sight and a poor producer.
- Pity instead the poor public, those sorry souls into whose lives the media machine has pumped a decade's worth of pouting.
- You've proved that your a bunch of sorry pitiful bastards.
- Add to these charges the negligence and incompetence shown throughout this sorry affair.
- Update: that was just me moaning because my bank account was in a sorry state.
- There then follows the sorry account, previously reported in these sports pages, of an Italian sausage and a brutal beating from a Pittsburgh Pirate.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Did you know that the primary meaning of almuerzo is lunch? It is used only in this sense in most of Latin America. In Spain and Mexico, where comida is the usual word for lunch, almuerzo can also be a mid-morning snack.