Translation of sorry in Spanish:
adjective -rier, -riest
- 1 (predicative) 1.1 (grieved, sad) See examples: I'm sorryoh, I am sorry; when did it happen?lo sientoI'm very sorry, but I can't help you¡cuánto lo siento!; ¿cuándo ocurrió?to feel o be sorrylo siento mucho or lo siento en el alma, pero no te puedo ayudar
forsomebodyI feel so sorry for you/himI felt o was so sorry for him when he got turned downte/lo compadezcoto feel sorry for oneselfme dio mucha pena or lástima cuando lo rechazaronhe was looking very sorry for himselflamentarse de su ( or tu etc) suerteto be sorrytenía un aspecto muy triste or abatido aboutsomebody/somethingI'm very sorry about what happenedI'm sorry about Clara having to have that operationsiento or lamento mucho lo que ocurrióto be sorry to +siento que Clara tenga que operarse infinitiveI'm sorry to hear you didn't get the jobI wasn't sorry to see the back of himsiento que no te hayan dado el puestoI'm sorry to have to tell you that …no me apenó or no lamenté que se fuerato be sorry (siento tener que decirte que … that)I'm sorry you can't comesentir que+ subjunctivesiento or lamento que no puedas venirExample sentences1.2 (apologetic, repentant) See examples: to say sorry
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend youpedir perdóndisculparsesorry to bother you, but …perdóname or lo siento or disculpa, no fue mi intención ofenderteto be sorryperdone or disculpe que lo moleste, pero …
- ‘I am sorry for Mrs McCabe and I'm sorry her husband was killed - we have no argument with her,’ Mr Adams added.
- They are sorry for the inconvenience to customers, but not that sorry.
- I'm sorry for being so damned insensitive in the first place, and I'm sorry about the whole Steve thing.
for/ aboutsomethingyou'll be sorry (for this)!arrepentirse dealgoaren't you the least bit sorry for what you've done?¡te arrepentirás (de esto)!¡me las vas a pagar!I'm really sorry about the dull meal¿no sientes ningún remordimiento por lo que has hecho?I'm very/terribly/awfully sorry about last nightsiento mucho que la comida sea tan pobreto be sorry (siento muchísimo lo de anochemil perdones por lo de anoche that)I'm sorry I didn't make it to your partyI'm only sorry I didn't leave soonersiento no haber podido ir a tu fiestalo único que lamento es no haberme ido antesExample sentences
- We are very sorry that Mrs Collins has experienced distress, and we are still waiting to establish the facts.
- One juror identified as Roy said a lot of people want you to have sympathy for her and feel sorry.
- I am sorry to hear of your distress, but I assure you that this is not an uncommon problem.
- 2 (as interjection) 2.1 (expressing apology)(awfully/so) sorry! (British English)lo sientosorry, I didn't realize it was you¡perdone!¡disculpe!2.2 (asking speaker to repeat)perdona or perdóname or disculpa or discúlpame, no me había dado cuenta de que eras tú(British English)sorry? I didn't quite catch that¿cómo (dice)?¿cómo? no le he oído bienExample sentences2.3 (expressing disagreement)
(I'm) sorry, but I disagreelo sientolo siento pero no estoy de acuerdoExample sentences
- So sorry, just to understand your question, if an ET1 is received, what would we like to be doing immediately?
- I may post more later, if I can sort out my thoughts better (my brain is slush at the moment, sorry!)
- But if pre-Christians come expecting God - sorry!
- And I lost his answer, sorry!
- 3 (pitiful, miserable, regrettable) (before noun) he was a sorry sightthe house was in a sorry state when we got backtenía un aspecto lamentabledaba pena verlola casa estaba en un estado lamentable cuando volvimosExample sentences
- A neglected garden is a sorry sight and a poor producer.
- Pity instead the poor public, those sorry souls into whose lives the media machine has pumped a decade's worth of pouting.
- You've proved that your a bunch of sorry pitiful bastards.
- Add to these charges the negligence and incompetence shown throughout this sorry affair.
- Update: that was just me moaning because my bank account was in a sorry state.
- There then follows the sorry account, previously reported in these sports pages, of an Italian sausage and a brutal beating from a Pittsburgh Pirate.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...