Translation of soul in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable (Religion) she was wandering around like a lost soulto sell one's soul to the devilvagaba por ahí como alma en penalearning Greek irregular verbs is good for the soul [humorous]venderle el alma al diablomy mother, God rest her soul, loved this houseaprenderse los verbos irregulares griegos fortalece el espíritu [humorous]upon my soul! (as interjection) [dated]mi madre, que en paz descanse or que en gloria esté, le tenía mucho cariño a esta casa(God) bless my soul! (as interjection) [dated]¡Dios Santo!1.2 countable (spirit, essence) she put her heart and soul into the task¡Dios me ampare!se entregó a la tarea en cuerpo y almaExample sentences
Example sentences1.3 uncountable (feeling, spirituality) See examples: these modern buildings have no soul
- It ignores all the empirical evidence for animal awareness while resting on an assumption for which there is no evidence: that human beings but no other animals possess immortal souls.
- I know the idea of animals having reincarnated human souls is hardly a new one… but this was an interesting idea to explore.
- The spiritual life of the soul with God is wounded, often mortally.
it's obvious you've got no soulestos edificios modernos no tienen personalidad or carácterhe's/she's got soul (American English) [slang]está claro que no tienes sensibilidadtiene muy buena onda [slang]
- In public, at least, Kirk, who lives close to the Wight memorial in Thirsk, is the soul of diplomacy, maintaining that the amateur route will eventually reap dividends.
- He is the soul of Christian courtesy and charity.
- There are two women in Britain who make her look the soul of discretion, refinement and good taste.
- 2 countable (person) See examples: I won't tell a (living) soulthere wasn't a soul aboutno se lo diré a nadiea village of 200 souls [literary]no había ni un almapoor old soul! she can hardly walkun pueblo de 200 almas [literary]¡pobrecilla! or ¡pobrecita! casi no puede caminar
- 3 (personification) See examples: the soul of discretion/kindnessla discreción/la amabilidad personificada
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to