- 1 1.1 (point of the compass, direction) sur (masculine) the south, the South el sur, el Sur it lies to the south of the city está al sur de la ciudad the wind is blowing from o is in the south el viento sopla or viene del sur or del Sur the house faces the south la casa da or mira al sur south by east sur cuarta al sudeste or sureste south-southeast sursudeste south-southwest sursudoesteMore example sentences
More example sentences1.2 (region) the south, the South el sur a town in the south of Texas una ciudad del sur or en el sur de Texas
- However, they did not realise the container was going directly to the south of Ireland, a trip that would normally take 42 hours.
- She turned to the south, the direction from which the noise had come.
- Directly to the south is a covered loggia with an outdoor fireplace.
- For example, if the compass reads south as you face the office's front door, then the back part of the room is the north section, the left is east, and the right is west.
- The only point left on the compass to follow was south.
- It points to every direction on the compass: north, south, east and west.
- 2the South (in US history) el Sur, los estados sudistas
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.