- 1 (quarrel) [colloquial]Example sentences
- Almost immediately they run into a pointless spat with local tough guys that spirals into a violent feud.
- They're typical brothers, so they get into these little spats with each other sometimes, and they separate them.
- Soon after we met, Slater was in the papers again after his wife allegedly broke a glass over his head during a violent spat.
- 3also: spats plural(Clothing)polainas (feminine plural)Example sentences
- His father was dressed in a rubber macintosh, with thick domestic gloves, spats, and a trilby hat.
- Flustered, the blonde boy untied his spats, and took off one of his sock-shoes, sort of hopping around on one foot while doing so.
- You can also take off those spats and gauntlets.