- 1 1.1 (person who speaks) all eyes turned to the speaker todas las miradas se volvieron hacia quien hablabaMore example sentences1.2 (in public) orador, (masculine, feminine) he's a good speaker es muy buen orador
More example sentences1.3 (of language) hablante (masculine and feminine) a native speaker of Spanish, a Spanish native speaker un hablante nativo de español, un hispanohablante
- This has the effect of distancing the speaker from the hearer.
- The closeness between the two speakers gave their following conversation a clandestine air.
- The underlying system of rules also enables the hearer to understand what the speaker said.
More example sentences1.4 [Government/Gobierno] presidente, (masculine, feminine) Mr Speaker Señor Presidente Madam Speaker Señora Presidente
- In a majority of the lectures, speakers focused on the historical circumstances of photography that have led to its current state.
- Guest speakers include David Ledsham, lecturer in art and design at the University of Ulster, and John Wood from Goldsmiths College in London.
- In 1962 he was a guest speaker at Cambridge's University Indian Society.
More example sentences
- What marks a proficient second or foreign language speaker is their command of idioms and other fixed expressions.
- The intermarriage of Bantu language speakers with the Khoe and San peoples gave rise to new varieties of languages such as Xhosa.
- A native Marathi speaker, Bal keeps a bound volume of Ramdas open on his table.
- President Delaney, the Speaker of the House, and a bevy of civilian and military officials sat silently as the count slowly approached zero.
- Russell is a policy analyst for the Office of the Speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives.
- Three years later he became the first Speaker of the new House of Assembly and held that position until he retired in October 1880.
- 2 [Audio] 2.1 (loudspeaker) altavoz (m), (alto)parlante (m) (South America/América del Sur) 2.2 (of hi-fi) baf(f)le (m), parlante (m) (South America/América del Sur)More example sentences
- Lightning Audio produces amplifiers, speakers, subwoofers and accessories for mobile audio markets.
- Creative sells a set of stereo speakers with no subwoofer that you can find online for about $15.
- It includes a DVD player, a receiver, five surround speakers, and a subwoofer.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In Spain the term castellano, rather than español, refers to the Spanish language as opposed to Catalan, Basque etc. The choice of word has political overtones: castellano has separatist connotations and español is considered centralist. In Latin America castellano is the usual term for Spanish.