- 1.1 (exceptional) (before noun/delante del nombre) [favor/treatment/request] especial a special offer una oferta especial a special price un precio especial or de ocasión I wear this dress only on special occasions me pongo este vestido solo en ocasiones especialesMore example sentences
More example sentences1.2 (for specific purpose) (before noun/delante del nombre) [arrangements/instructions/fund] especial special powers [Government/Gobierno] poderes (masculine plural) extraordinarios a special diet una dieta especial a special edition una edición or un número especial a special feature [Journalism/Periodismo] un artículo or una nota especial (of product) una característica especial our special correspondent nuestro enviado especial
- Grandad and I have special food, at different times from other people.
- It seemed different, more special then the rest.
- As he experimented with special lenses and different exposures and paper, his photography became increasingly art-inspired.
More example sentences1.3 (particular, individual) especial, particular I have no special reason for asking no tengo ningún motivo en especial or en particular para preguntar my special interest is medieval poetry me interesa especialmente or en especial or en particular la poesía medieval each contestant is tested on his special subject se examina a cada concursante en el tema de su especialidad children with special needs [Education/Educación] niños que requieren una atención diferenciada have you anybody special in mind? ¿se te ocurre alguien en especial or en particular or en concreto? what are you doing tonight? — nothing special ¿qué haces esta noche? — nada en especial or en particular
- This woman is exceptional, she's special, she's extraordinary and I have great respect for her.
- I have no special talents, except being able to sing.
- Once an implant has been installed it can't be uninstalled again except with special equipment.
More example sentences1.4 (better than ordinary) today is a very special day for me hoy es un día muy especial para mí a very special friend un amigo muy querido please take special care of him te pido encarecidamente que lo atiendas muy bien she's a very special person es una persona extraordinaria he makes me feel special me hace sentir muy apreciada what's so special about Steve? ¿qué tiene Steve de especial?
- High-heel shoes are probably one of the most favorite designs women choose for their special occasions.
- General purpose home computers will gather dust as special purpose machines with cool designs and unbreakable software take over.
- Asparagus is normally cooked, preferably by steaming in the special tall utensil designed for the purpose.
- Yuliana belongs to a special caste in classical ballet - she is a character dancer.
- This title belongs under that extra special list of films that are so bad they're good.
- The special character of South Germany was expressed in the liberal subculture, which had lasting-power and prolonged success.
The CAP (Curso de Adaptación Pedagógica) is a course taken in Spain by graduates with degrees in subjects other than education, who want to teach at secondary level. Students take a CAP in a particular subject, such as mathematics, literature, etc.
- 2special (constable) (in (United Kingdom/el Reino Unido) )civil que en determinadas situaciones cumple tareas de policía
- 3 (broadcast) programa (masculine) especialMore example sentences
- During the late 1950s, several hour-long specials were also broadcast.
- It will air this Sunday night as a television special on ABC.
- The artist had created several animated commercials and specials for television.
- 5 5.1 [Cookery/Cocina] plato (masculine) especial the chef's special especialidad (feminine) del día 5.2 (special offer) oferta (feminine) especial on special (American English/inglés norteamericano) de or en ofertaMore example sentences
More example sentences
- There are reduced rates and specials being offered within other sections of the market.
- They offer a handful of weekly specials but otherwise keep prices relatively high.
- Wellington is awash in curry houses, thus they tend to offer specials to entice you to eat there.
- Restaurants run food specials for a number of reasons, sometimes because the chef found certain ingredients at a reduced price.
- The fine-dining restaurant specialises in Californian-influenced Italian cuisine including shrimp and lobster specials served to the sounds of a live jazz band.
- Delicious weekly specials augment a superb menu, with a robust selection of favorites from America's four corners.