past tense & past participle spelled or (British also) spelt transitive verb
- 1 (write)(orally) deletrearhow do you spell Kazakhstan?¿cómo se escribe Kazajstán?could you spell it for me?¿me lo deletrea?spell 'ridiculous'deletrea la palabra 'ridiculous'Example sentences
- Several immigrants didn't know how to write or spell their own names, so immigration inspectors created one for them.
- The first twenty pages of my first book are filled with nothing but hundreds of attempts to learn to write and spell my name.
- Did you make sure you spelt my name correctly?
- 2 (mean) this measure could spell the end of the organizationesta medida podría significar el fin de la organizaciónrising inflation spells trouble for the governmentla creciente inflación anuncia or augura problemas para el gobiernoit spelled disaster for the projectresultó nefasto or desastroso para el proyectoExample sentences
- Failure to resolve this last issue quickly and effectively would have spelled disaster for the plan.
- The variable that promised to spell disaster for Iowa farmers was the high seed costs associated with GM crops.
- For everyone else, however, it spells disaster.
past tense & past participle spelled or (British also) spelt intransitive verb
- he can't spelltiene mala ortografía
no sabe escribir correctamente(orally) no sabe deletrear
explicar en detallethe problem is spelled out in the letter
el problema está explicado en detalle en la cartadon't you understand? do I have to spell it out?
¿no entiendes? ¿te lo tengo que decir letra por letra?she has to have everything spelled out in detail
hay que explicarle todo letra por letra or con lujo de detalles
noun magic spell
- evil spell to cast a spell over or to put a spell on something/somebodyhechizar or embrujar algo/a alguiento break the spellromper el encanto or el hechizoshe was under the spell of the witchestaba bajo el hechizo de la brujashe is completely under his spellla tiene totalmente embelesada or encandiladagenerations of children have fallen under the spell of his storiessus cuentos han fascinado a los niños de varias generacionesExample sentences
- It wasn't quite the same as when a sorcerer used high level spells, but the words were still unintelligible.
- Taukat showed his agreement by muttering the words of a spell and conjuring a cloud of acid rain over the unsuspecting targets.
- Kyri was mumbling the words to a spell which she finished by laying her hand on Aikel's arm.
- 1 (of weather) a spell of wet weatherun período de lluvia(s)we had a very cold spell last monthel mes pasado tuvimos unos días or una racha or un período de mucho fríoExample sentences
- Paul took up the post of County Accountant in the mid-Seventies, leaving for a short spell, only to return to take up the post of Finance Officer.
- However, he was married for a short spell while he was living in County Kerry.
- They merely took advantage of it for short spells while unable to obtain other work.
- 2 (period of time) we've had a very busy spell in the officehemos tenido un período or una temporada de mucho trabajo en la oficinaafter a short spell in journalismtras trabajar una breve temporada como periodistaI was going through a bad spellestaba pasando por una mala rachacome and sit down for a spell (US)ven y siéntate un ratoI'll take a spell at the wheel nowahora voy a manejar or (Spain) conducir yo un ratome toca a mí sentarme al volante ahora
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.