Translation of spend in Spanish:
- 1 1.1(money)to spend something
onsomebody/somethinggastar algoshe doesn't mind spending $250 on a pair of shoes enalguien/algono le importa gastar(se) 250 dólares en un par de zapatosExample sentences1.2 (expend)to spend something (
- We spent too much money on people that hate us and loathe us and want us out of their country.
- By now there should be nobody who doesn't agree that how much money we spend per pupil makes a difference.
onsomething)dedicarle algothey spent a lot of time and energy on the project aalgo
enalgole dedicaron mucho tiempo y muchas energías al proyectoshe spent two months on that painting
invirtieron mucho tiempo y muchas energías en el proyecto(se) pasó dos meses con ese cuadrodon't spend too long on each question
le dedicó dos meses a ese cuadrono le dediquen mucho tiempo a cada preguntaspend your time wiselyemplea bien el tiempoExample sentences
- She put her hands on her hips and watched as the can spent itself.
- The lightning spent itself and the coach fell to the ground unconscious.
- The last drops of the rainfall spattered heavily against the cobblestones as the storm spent itself and shook itself off.
- 2 (pass)(period of time)where did you spend Christmas/your vacation?
pasar¿dónde pasaste la Navidad/tus vacaciones?I spent the morning working/shopping(me) pasé la mañana trabajando/de comprasI spent five years as a salesman(me) pasé cinco años trabajando como vendedorExample sentences
- She spent a sleepless night passing along the police line searching out scraps of news.
- A driver without a resident's pass wanting to spend three hours in Piccadilly car park must find £6 in coins.
- Last week the town council passed a motion to spend a day picking up litter around the town.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.