Translation of spend in Spanish:
- 1 1.1(money)to spend something
onsomebody/somethinggastar algoshe doesn't mind spending $250 on a pair of shoes enalguien/algono le importa gastar(se) 250 dólares en un par de zapatosExample sentences1.2 (expend)to spend something (
- We spent too much money on people that hate us and loathe us and want us out of their country.
- By now there should be nobody who doesn't agree that how much money we spend per pupil makes a difference.
onsomething)dedicarle algothey spent a lot of time and energy on the project aalgo
enalgole dedicaron mucho tiempo y muchas energías al proyectoshe spent two months on that painting
invirtieron mucho tiempo y muchas energías en el proyecto(se) pasó dos meses con ese cuadrodon't spend too long on each question
le dedicó dos meses a ese cuadrono le dediquen mucho tiempo a cada preguntaspend your time wiselyemplea bien el tiempo
- 2 (pass)(period of time)where did you spend Christmas/your vacation?
pasar¿dónde pasaste la Navidad/tus vacaciones?I spent the morning working/shopping(me) pasé la mañana trabajando/de comprasI spent five years as a salesman(me) pasé cinco años trabajando como vendedorExample sentences
- She spent a sleepless night passing along the police line searching out scraps of news.
- A driver without a resident's pass wanting to spend three hours in Piccadilly car park must find £6 in coins.
- Last week the town council passed a motion to spend a day picking up litter around the town.
- 3 (exhaust) the hurricane had spent its force/itselfel huracán había agotado or perdido su fuerza/se había extinguidoExample sentences
- She put her hands on her hips and watched as the can spent itself.
- The lightning spent itself and the coach fell to the ground unconscious.
- The last drops of the rainfall spattered heavily against the cobblestones as the storm spent itself and shook itself off.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.