Translation of spend in Spanish:
- 1 1.1(money)to spend something
onsomebody/somethingshe doesn't mind spending $250 on a pair of shoesgastar algo enalguien/algono le importa gastar(se) 250 dólares en un par de zapatosExample sentences1.2 (expend) See examples:to spend something (
- We spent too much money on people that hate us and loathe us and want us out of their country.
- By now there should be nobody who doesn't agree that how much money we spend per pupil makes a difference.
onsomething)they spent a lot of time and energy on the projectdedicarle algo aalgoinvertir algo enalgoshe spent two months on that paintingle dedicaron mucho tiempo y muchas energías al proyectoinvirtieron mucho tiempo y muchas energías en el proyectodon't spend too long on each question(se) pasó dos meses con ese cuadrole dedicó dos meses a ese cuadrospend your time wiselyno le dediquen mucho tiempo a cada preguntaemplea bien el tiempo
- 2 (pass)(period of time)where did you spend Christmas/your vacation?I spent the morning working/shopping¿dónde pasaste la Navidad/tus vacaciones?I spent five years as a salesman(me) pasé la mañana trabajando/de compras(me) pasé cinco años trabajando como vendedorExample sentences
- She spent a sleepless night passing along the police line searching out scraps of news.
- A driver without a resident's pass wanting to spend three hours in Piccadilly car park must find £6 in coins.
- Last week the town council passed a motion to spend a day picking up litter around the town.
- 3 (exhaust) the hurricane had spent its force/itselfel huracán había agotado or perdido su fuerza/se había extinguidoExample sentences
- She put her hands on her hips and watched as the can spent itself.
- The lightning spent itself and the coach fell to the ground unconscious.
- The last drops of the rainfall spattered heavily against the cobblestones as the storm spent itself and shook itself off.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than