transitive verb past tense & past participle spilled or spilt
- (knock over) volcarshe carried the tea upstairs without spilling a dropsubió el té sin derramar or verter una gotadon't spill tea over the tableclothno manches el mantel de této spill blood [literary]
no derrames té sobre el mantelderramar sangre [literary]Example sentences
- Shara's hand shook as she picked up a cup of coffee, spilling the now-cold liquid on the article she had just concluded.
- First she spilt the oil, then she broke a container, and finally, she spurted food coloring all over our bags.
- I place the mugs on a small wooden tray and carry it out to the divan, trying not to spill the hot liquid.
intransitive verb past tense & past participle spilled or spilt
- (liquid)the coins spilled onto the floor
derramarselas monedas cayeron al suelopeople spilled (out) into the streetsla gente se volcó or se echó a las callesExample sentences
- She held his gaze until the tears spilled over onto her cheeks.
- Sophie sustained first, second and third degree burns when a bowl of boiling water spilled over her torso and legs.
- A choked sob caught in her throat, and she brought a hand up to her mouth as her eyes filled with tears that spilled over onto her reddened cheeks.
(fighting/conflict)wicker baskets spilling over with ivy
cestas de mimbre rebosantes de hiedrathe guests spilled over onto the terrace
algunos de los invitados pasaron a ocupar la terrazathis dispute could spill over into other sectors of industry
este conflicto podría extenderse a otros sectores de la industriafrustration on both sides spilled over into scenes of violence
la frustración por ambas partes produjo estallidos de violencia
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.