Translation of spirit in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 uncountable (life force, soul) the needs of the spiritlas necesidades espirituales or del espírituI'll be with you in spiritestaré contigo en espírituthe spirit is willing but the flesh is weak
te tendré presente (en mis pensamientos)a pesar de las buenas intenciones, la carne es débilExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 countable (apparition) evil spirits
- I believe in this way that the soul/spirit is reflected by the body, that the soul gives life to the body and without a spirit or soul the body and brain are dead.
- No doubt you've guessed that I think I believe in reincarnation - the doctrine of the rebirth of the spirit / soul in different bodies.
- And most amazing, we get to receive the Eucharist into our spirits, souls and bodies.
espíritus malignosExample sentences
- YET I remained basically sceptical when it came to the idea that the spirit survives death.
- If something survives, if a spirit continues, it sure isn't me.
- According to spiritualists, the spirit dwells in the physical body, but can leave it temporarily or permanently.
- In this sense, ‘ghosts’ mean the spirits, the apparition of the dead or the devils.
- Men in the mode of goodness worship the demigods; those in the mode of passion worship the demons; and those in the mode of ignorance worship ghosts and spirits.
- The movie Ghost also involves spirits who have unfinished business on planet Earth, but in this case, the ghost is here to assist the living.
- The kami can be likened to nature spirits, and Shinto shrines are usually found in areas of natural beauty.
- Surya, God of the Sun, is worshiped and the nature spirits are thanked.
- The Japanese culture and arts have been strongly influenced by a wide-spread belief in ghosts, demons and supernatural spirits.
- 2 countable (person) a free spirituna persona a quien no preocupan los convencionalismosone of the leading spirits of the ageuna de las figuras más destacadas de la épocathey realized they were kindred spiritsse dieron cuenta de que eran almas gemelasExample sentences
- He has demonstrated quality leadership, and embodies both entrepreneurial spirit and business excellence.
- This revolutionary spirit is not just about changing the world, but also about what Jim calls ‘tuning people's ears to poetry.’
- Lucy herself is a powerful character, an independent spirit with a thirst for revenge that threatens to consume her.
- 3 uncountable (vigor, courage) a man of spiritun hombre de mucho espíritu or de mucho templethis horse/child has plenty of spiriteste caballo/esta niña tiene mucho bríoto break somebody's spiritquebrantarle el espíritu a alguienput some spirit into itpon más alma or más brío en lo que haceshe tried to put spirit into his teamintentó infundirles ánimo a los jugadoresthey showed their spirit in the hour of defeatmostraron su entereza or temple a la hora de la derrotaExample sentences
- Swans have shown great spirit, courage, determination and team unity this year but the most important ingredient to the Swans outfit has been an increase in skill.
- As these and dozens of other contributions came in from people all over the world who had met Peter and admired his spirit and energy, his family had to take up where he left off.
- The Chelsea coach had commented that his team are far behind Manchester United ‘not in terms of quality but in terms of spirit and determination’.
- 4 4.1 (mental attitude, mood) (no plural) the party/Christmas spiritel espíritu festivo/navideñoteam/community spiritespíritu de equipo/de comunidadthe spirit of the age/timesel espíritu de la época/de los tiemposthe match was played in a spirit of sportsmanshipel partido se jugó con espíritu deportivoin a great spirit of self-sacrifice that's the spirit!¡así se hace!he took what I said in the wrong spirit
¡así me gusta!(se) tomó a mal lo que dijeshe entered into the spirit of thingsentró en ambienteExample sentences4.2 (deeper meaning) the spirit of the law
- We have despatched a wealth of business together over a short period in a spirit of optimism.
- It was a change in attitude, a spirit of openness and mutual trust because that clearly was at the crux of the matter.
- The perception, he admits, might be that government is handing down what is right for people, and an election gives an opportunity to listen to people in a spirit of humility.
- 5also: spirits plural(emotional state) to be in good/bad spiritsestar animado/abatidoto be in high spirits
tener la moral alta/bajaestar muy animado or de muy buen humorto be in low spiritsestar decaído or alicaído or desanimadoto keep somebody's spirits upanimar a alguienI began to whistle to keep my spirits up
darle ánimos a alguienempecé a silbar para darme ánimoskeep your spirits up¡arriba ese ánimo or esos ánimos!his spirits rose/fellse animó/se desanimó or se desmoralizóshe failed to raise or lift their spiritsno pudo levantarles el ánimo or la moral
no pudo animarlos
- 6also: spirits plural(alcohol)bebidas (feminine plural) alcohólicas (de alta graduación)I never drink spirits
licores (masculine plural)nunca tomo bebidas fuertes or licoresExample sentences
- The type of alcohol ranged from beers, lagers and cider to spirits, wine and designer drinks such as Hooch, Bacardi Breezers and Maverick Ice.
- Most of them are used to mature spirits: various brandies, rums, and whiskies.
- It is the home of a drinking establishment known as the Old Devil Inn, purveyors of strong ales, stronger spirits and artery-clogging pub food.
- 7 (Chemistry) spirits of wine (before noun) spirit burnermechero (masculine) de alcoholExample sentences
- In recent years, however, and mostly in urban areas, high - octane fuel and methylated spirit have been added to enhance potency.
- The tanker he was driving was carrying more than 32,000 litres of petroleum spirit and 5,000 litres of diesel fuel.
- In January 1929, for instance, only two loaded vessels arrived, one with petroleum spirit from Liverpool and the other with cement from London.
- Spots on all finishes except lacquer can be treated with a cloth dampened with spirits of camphor, essence of peppermint or oil of wintergreen.
- to spirit something awayhacer desaparecer algo como por arte de magiathe prisoner was spirited away during the nightel prisionero desapareció or se esfumó durante la noche como por arte de magiait's gone, as if it was just spirited awaydesapareció misteriosamente or como por arte de magiaExample sentences
- Frank rescues the couple and their about-to-be born child, spiriting them to a secret home deep in the woods, where their child will join two others that have been saved.
- Shaggy's enjoyed our fair share of kind offers to have our anatomy enlarged, become an ordained minister online or join a deceased dictator's family in spiriting millions of dollars out of Africa.
- A spokesman for Caritas said simply, ‘most of them are reducing their staff as much as possible’ and spiriting them out to safety.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.