intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 [person] sentarse* ( or tumbarse etc) de forma poco elegante or [colloquial/familiar] todo despatarrado he was sprawling all over the sofa estaba tumbado en el sofá todo despatarrado [colloquial/familiar] he sent him sprawling with one punch lo tumbó de un golpeMore example sentences1.2 [city/town/vine]to sprawl
- A second corpse already lay sprawled at the policeman's boots.
- Out on the desert white figures lay sprawled dead and dying.
- The story ends with both lying together sprawled on a bed, as ‘Figures, waiting to be arranged’.
across/ oversth extenderse* poralgo her large handwriting sprawled across the page su letra de trazos grandes y desgarbados cubría la página
- 1.1 uncountable/no numerable (of built-up area) expansión (feminine) 1.2 (of person) (no plural/sin plural) she lay on the bed in a sprawl estaba toda despatarrada en la cama [colloquial/familiar] he fell in a sprawl cayó cuan largo era
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Gringo is a pejorative term in Latin America to refer to white English speakers, particularly North Americans. It has overtones of US intervention in Latin American internal affairs. In the eighteenth century the word was applied to foreigners who spoke little or no Spanish.