- 1 countable/numerable (in market) puesto (masculine), tenderete (masculine)More example sentences
- People think buying copies is a victimless crime, but the idea that they are ‘just’ being sold by a couple of guys at a market stall or car-boot sale is misleading.
- Roadsides are full of market stalls with fruit, vegetables, meat and other items.
- It was market day and the stalls stood in rows with local people in colourful ethnic clothes squeezing together in throngs, full of happiness.
- 2 countable/numerable(stalls plural)2.1 (in theater, movie house) (British English/inglés británico) platea (feminine), patio (masculine) de butacas, luneta (feminine) (Colombia) (Mexico/México) 2.2 (in church) the choir stalls la sillería del coroMore example sentences
- The action is seen as it would be from a good seat in the theatre stalls.
- Some feel that 20 for a seat in the stalls is a bit steep.
- In my own case, I usually purchase seats in the stalls for six adults and five children costing in the region of £100.
- 3 countable/numerable (in stable) compartimiento (masculine)More example sentences
- This configuration recalls the form of traditional livestock barns with a center walkway and animal stalls to each side.
- Farrowing rate for sows in individual stalls was equal to or superior to sows in other systems.
- The animals were confined to drylot paddocks and fed the assigned concentrate in individual feeding stalls.
- 4 u and c [Aviation/Aviación] pérdida (feminine) de sustentación the plane went into a stall el avión entró en pérdidaMore example sentences
- But if the stick is moved back when the airplane is very close to the stall the aircraft will not pitch up much, if at all.
- If approaching a stall at racing altitude there would be no chance of recovery.
- This was especially important for students who were learning carrier landings which were carried out at slow speed and close to the stall.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1 [engine/car] pararse, ahogarse, calarse (Spain/España) , atascarse* (Mexico/México) ; [plane] [Aviation/Aviación] entrar en pérdida
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 2 (bring to standstill) [negotiations/growth] paralizar*
- 3 (delay) [colloquial/familiar] entretener* try and stall her trata de entretenerla
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Guernica is a Basque town destroyed by German bombers fighting on the Nationalist side in the Spanish Civil War in April 1937.