Translation of stall in Spanish:
- 1 countable (in market)Example sentences
- People think buying copies is a victimless crime, but the idea that they are ‘just’ being sold by a couple of guys at a market stall or car-boot sale is misleading.
- Roadsides are full of market stalls with fruit, vegetables, meat and other items.
- It was market day and the stalls stood in rows with local people in colourful ethnic clothes squeezing together in throngs, full of happiness.
- 2 countablealso: stalls plural2.1 (in theater, movie house) (British)Example sentences2.2 (in church) the choir stalls
la sillería del coro
- The action is seen as it would be from a good seat in the theatre stalls.
- Some feel that 20 for a seat in the stalls is a bit steep.
- In my own case, I usually purchase seats in the stalls for six adults and five children costing in the region of £100.
- 3 countable (in stable)Example sentences
- This configuration recalls the form of traditional livestock barns with a center walkway and animal stalls to each side.
- Farrowing rate for sows in individual stalls was equal to or superior to sows in other systems.
- The animals were confined to drylot paddocks and fed the assigned concentrate in individual feeding stalls.
- 4 uncountable and countable (Aviation)pérdida (feminine) de sustentaciónthe plane went into a stallel avión entró en pérdidaExample sentences
- But if the stick is moved back when the airplane is very close to the stall the aircraft will not pitch up much, if at all.
- If approaching a stall at racing altitude there would be no chance of recovery.
- This was especially important for students who were learning carrier landings which were carried out at slow speed and close to the stall.
atascarse (Mexico)(plane) (Aviation)
entrar en pérdidaExample sentences
- At first I couldn't think why the car had simply stalled and tried to restart it several times to no avail.
- ‘It was like I was looking at it in slow motion when all those cars were going by,’ said Lehto, who had to restart the car when the engine stalled on the spin.
- Although the car never stalled for me, I was able to duplicate the customer's complaint of trouble on steep grades.
- The aircraft can stall and fall and there is nothing you can do about it.
- At no speed the glider stalled and because of the left turn my left wing went down first.
- Huge flaps, functioning like parachutes, lifted on each wing, and the Concorde's airspeed dropped swiftly as the aircraft stalled.
- 2 (come to standstill)(talks)
llegar a un punto muerto or a un impasseExample sentences
- But as soon as those mergers were announced, progress on any deal stalled.
- I won't discuss my other projects in progress that are stalled and waiting.
- His career stalled, Rodgers unenthusiastically enrolled at Columbia, following his brother's pre-med path.
- 3 (play for time) [colloquial]when I asked to see him, she stalledcuando dije que quería verlo, me entretuvo para ganar tiempoquit stallingno andes con rodeos or con evasivasstalling tacticsmaniobras (feminine plural) dilatoriasExample sentences
- A single car meandered down the street, an executive returning home late from work, stalling for time before he entered the house of the angry wife.
- A contract was drawn up, but Billie-Jean kept stalling on exchange and settlement dates.
- The government is stalling on this reasonable request.
hacer entrar en pérdidaExample sentences
- Green said the men ordered her to climb back into the vehicle but they had stalled the car and were unable to restart it.
- On October 30, just as the flood waters were creeping up in Ryedale, she drove her Peugeot car through a deep puddle and stalled the engine.
- In flight, there was less than a ten knot difference between a speed so fast that it would rip the wings off the aircraft and a speed so slow that it would stall the engine.
- 2 (bring to standstill)(negotiations/growth)
- 3 (delay) [colloquial] try and stall hertrata de entretenerlaExample sentences
- I was trying to stall him, until my desperate and panicked mind could think of one way out of this.
- Coyne said he waited until the bell rang so students could change classes without seeing Mayer in the hallway, adding he ‘could understand why Mayer thought he was stalling him.’
- So when Michel popped the question, she said the first thing that came into her head as a way of stalling him: ‘Only if the King of Tonga marries us.’
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.