n (pl -bys)
- 1.1 (thing, person one can turn to) that old standby 'working late at the office' el viejo recurso de 'tengo que trabajar hasta tarde en la oficina' frozen meals are a useful standby in case unexpected guests arrive las comidas congeladas son muy socorridas si llegan visitas inesperadas you should always carry a spare fan belt as a standby siempre se debe llevar una correa de ventilador de repuesto por lo que pudiera pasar I'm here as a standby in case John can't play estoy de reserva or de suplente por si John no puede jugarMore example sentences1.2 (state of readiness) to be on standby [police/squadron] estar* en estado de alerta [appliance] estar* en posición de espera or en standby [engineer] estar* de guardia (before n) standby time tiempo (m) de autonomía
More example sentences1.3standby (ticket) [Aviat] pasaje (m) or (Esp) billete (m) stand-by
- Stored rainwater also is a good standby in times of emergencies such as power outages or during periods of extreme drought when wells dry up.
- The tugboat is truly multi purpose, as it can lead oil tankers into port, repair petroleum pipes in the sea and act as a standby rescue boat.
- They have a standby generator and five solar panels.
More example sentences
- Voters will go to the polls today with 95,000 police on the streets and 100,000 troops on standby for immediate deployment.
- By spotting the danger signs early enough, a civil defence team can be put on standby to provide an immediate response to another flood.
- As part of the government's rapid reaction force, 45 Commando are on permanent standby for deployment to anywhere in the world at very short notice.
- The seats are typically offered on standby basis and but have become increasingly hard for employees to nail down as many flights fly at record-full levels.
- But cheap fares are filling the empty seats staffers used to use on standby.
- The 74 passengers were put on standby for the next available flight.
- 1.1 (ready for emergency) [generator/equipment] de emergencia, de reserva to be on standby duty estar* de guardia standby facility [Fin] línea (f) de crédito stand-by or de disposición inmediata 1.2 [Aviat] [passenger/ticket/fare] stand-by (adj inv)