Translation of standing in Spanish:
- 1.1 (position)(prestige)his standing in the communitya person of high/low social standingla posición que tiene or el lugar que ocupa en la comunidadan establishment of high standinguna persona de posición social alta/bajaa magazine of some standingun establecimiento de gran categoría or de alto standingshe's in very good standing with the party chiefsuna revista de cierto prestigiolos jefes del partido la tienen en gran estimaExample sentences1.2 (duration) See examples: an agreement of long standing
friends of more than 20 years' standingun acuerdo vigente desde hace tiempoa practice of many years' standingamigos desde hace más de 20 añosuna práctica muy antigua or que lleva establecida muchos años
- For centuries, spouse selection was subject to family status and social standing.
- All of these arguments for social equality rightly stress the importance of people's social status or public standing.
- University status will strengthen the institute's academic reputation and international standing.
adjective (before noun, no comparative)
- 1.1 (permanent) standing chargecuota (feminine) fija(for utilities)we have a standing invitation to stay with themcuota (feminine) abonoit's a standing offerestamos invitados a ir a quedarnos en su casa cuando queramosit's a standing joke that he never pays for a single drinkla oferta está siempre en pie1.2 (upright, not seated) standing room only!tiene fama de no invitar nunca a una copashe got a standing ovation¡no quedan asientos!a standing jumpse pusieron de pie para aplaudirla60 mph from a standing start in five secondsun salto sin carrerafrom a standing start, she has achieved …de 0 a 60 mph en cinco segundospartiendo desde cero, ha logrado …Example sentences1.3 (stagnant)
- After millennia of dreaming of flight, the human race went from a standing start at Kitty Hawk to the moon in 66 years.
- He has quick heels certainly but most impressive is his speed and direction from a standing start - something that Robinson has yet to master.
- The brake is applied automatically once the engine is switched off, and released automatically when the car moves off from a standing start.
- Mold growth should be suspected wherever there are water stains, standing water or moist surfaces.
- Police say heavy rain and standing water on the road surface may have been a contributory factor in the collision.
- With deep, standing water on many major and minor roads, driving conditions were hazardous and there were disruptions to rail services in many areas.
- The army's standing field forces consist of three mechanized brigade groups.
- Indonesia saw the peacekeeping force as a standing army ready to go to any embattled country to help to restore civil order.
- The force will not be a standing army but will have a permanent headquarters in Brussels and will be formed at short notice.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.