Translation of standing in Spanish:
- 1.1 (position)(prestige) prestigio (masculine)his standing in the communityla posición que tiene or el lugar que ocupa en la comunidada person of high/low social standinguna persona de posición social alta/bajaan establishment of high standingun establecimiento de gran categoría or de alto standinga magazine of some standinguna revista de cierto prestigioshe's in very good standing with the party chiefslos jefes del partido la tienen en gran estimaExample sentences1.2 (duration) an agreement of long standing
un acuerdo vigente desde hace tiempofriends of more than 20 years' standingamigos desde hace más de 20 añosa practice of many years' standinguna práctica muy antigua or que lleva establecida muchos años
- For centuries, spouse selection was subject to family status and social standing.
- All of these arguments for social equality rightly stress the importance of people's social status or public standing.
- University status will strengthen the institute's academic reputation and international standing.
adjective before noun, no comparative
- 1.1 (permanent) standing chargecuota (feminine) fija(for utilities) cuota (feminine) abonowe have a standing invitation to stay with themestamos invitados a ir a quedarnos en su casa cuando queramosit's a standing offerla oferta está siempre en pieit's a standing joke that he never pays for a single drinktiene fama de no invitar nunca a una copaExample sentences1.2 (upright, not seated) standing room only!
¡no quedan asientos!she got a standing ovationse pusieron de pie para aplaudirlaa standing jumpun salto sin carrera60 mph from a standing start in five secondsde 0 a 60 mph en cinco segundosfrom a standing start, she has achieved …partiendo desde cero, ha logrado …Example sentences1.3 (stagnant)
- The army's standing field forces consist of three mechanized brigade groups.
- Indonesia saw the peacekeeping force as a standing army ready to go to any embattled country to help to restore civil order.
- The force will not be a standing army but will have a permanent headquarters in Brussels and will be formed at short notice.
- After millennia of dreaming of flight, the human race went from a standing start at Kitty Hawk to the moon in 66 years.
- He has quick heels certainly but most impressive is his speed and direction from a standing start - something that Robinson has yet to master.
- The brake is applied automatically once the engine is switched off, and released automatically when the car moves off from a standing start.
- Mold growth should be suspected wherever there are water stains, standing water or moist surfaces.
- Police say heavy rain and standing water on the road surface may have been a contributory factor in the collision.
- With deep, standing water on many major and minor roads, driving conditions were hazardous and there were disruptions to rail services in many areas.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.