Translation of star in Spanish:
- 1 [Astrology/Astrología] [Astronomy/Astronomía] (astral body) astro (masculine); (visible in the sky at night) estrella (feminine) the morning star el lucero del alba or de la mañana it's (written) in the stars está escrito what do the stars foretell today? ¿qué dicen los astros para hoy?, ¿qué dice el horóscopo para hoy? to be born under a lucky/an unlucky star nacer* con buena/mala estrella to see stars ver* las estrellas to thank one's lucky stars [colloquial/familiar] dar* gracias al cieloExample sentences
- This new heat supply causes the outer layers of the star to expand and cool, and the star becomes a red giant, or a red supergiant if it is very massive.
- But Tarenghi is most thrilled about the observations of pulsating stars known as Cepheid variables.
- Later, astronomers further scrutinized this star with the Hubble Space Telescope.
- Castor's skill with horses is said to be shared by those born under the influence of the star.
- No-one could escape the influence of the stars, he was alleged to be telling them, and it was therefore as well to know one's own future from a chart-reading.
- Cavalcanti berated the philosopher for giving so much consideration to the influence of the stars.
- They believe and accept the predestined future written in their horoscope or stars, that regardless of their effort whatever has to happen will happen.
- It is so strange and I think it has something to do with the stars, I mean horoscope.
- 2 (symbol) estrella (feminine); (asterisk) asterisco (masculine) the Star of David la estrella de David a four-star hotel un hotel de cuatro estrellas two-/four-star petrol (British English/inglés británico) gasolina (feminine) or (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) nafta (feminine) normal/súper, bencina (feminine) corriente/especial (Andes)Example sentences
- Local authorities can receive up to three stars - indicating excellent - for their performance.
- The star ratings were awarded after all trusts were assessed against key targets from April 2003 to March 2004.
- The project received one star, in a system where no stars indicates poor and three excellent.
- Why is there a star next to some users' names on the active users lists?
- 3 (celebrity) estrella (feminine) she became a star overnight se convirtió en una estrella or alcanzó el estrellato de la noche a la mañana a movie star una estrella de cine (before noun/delante del nombre) star attraction atracción (feminine) estelar or especial star performance actuación (feminine) estelar his star pupil su alumno estrella, su alumno más brillante or destacado she's got star quality tiene madera de estrella star role papel (masculine) estelar star witness testigo (masculine and feminine) principalExample sentences
- The man you saw on the screen was a down-to-earth, likeable guy who just happened to be a TV star.
- Bob was enabled and allowed to pursue this kind of destructive behaviour because he was a minor TV star.
- Then, of course, he became the biggest rap star on the planet.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo (-rr-)
- 1 [Cinema/Cine] [Theater/Teatro] [Television/Televisión] the famous film which starred Bogart and Bergman la famosa película que tuvo como protagonistas a Bogart y Bergman '2005', starring Mike Kirnon '2005', con (la actuación estelar de) Mike Kirnon
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo (-rr-)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.