- 1 [Cookery/Cocina] entrada (f), primer plato (m), entrante (m) (Spain/España) for starters [colloquial/familiar] para empezarMore example sentences
- Even at buffet dinners, it is advisable to stick to the usual schedule of salads, soups, starters, main course and dessert.
- It offered the usual salads, starters, cooked meals, wines and rakias as well as a decent selection of seafood dishes at very good prices.
- From finger foods and starters to main courses, pastry and puddings, he has produced a range of ingenious recipes to tempt even the most committed carnivore.
- 2 [Sport/Deporte] 2.1 (official) juez (masculine and feminine) de salida 2.2 (competitor) participante (mf), competidor, (m,f)More example sentences
More example sentences
- Worse still, every paper lists him as a definite starter in Sunday's game.
- Hold That Tiger is the only one of O'Brien's potential starters to have raced in the United States this year.
- Paraneck Stable's former classic starter Griffinite has been retired due to a slight ligament strain in his left front leg.
- ‘The starter held the race while the announcer told people I was retiring,’ said Hickman.
- As the starters signalled the first race a light rain signalled the wintry conditions at Munich's Olympic regatta course.
- Tarapore and Kapila even had the discomfiture of being fined five penalty points for jumping the starter's gun in the second race.
- 3 (person) he was a slow/late starter at school fue de desarrollo lento/tardío en el colegioMore example sentences
- Also a serious Palme d' Or contender, Chunhyang is a slow starter.
- Despite the crowd's obvious enthusiasm, the gig was a slow starter.
- He may have been a slow starter, but lately O'Shea has been surging forward.
- 4 [Cars/Automovilismo] motor (masculine) de arranqueMore example sentences
- When you turn the ignition key, the starter motor spins the engine a few revolutions so that the combustion process can start.
- From the darkened bar from which I dictate this missive, I can hear the starter engines revving up!
- The difference is there is a helicopter starter engine that always keeps the turbo spinning at high revs, and hence the power.
- 5starter (culture) [Biology/Biología] [Cookery/Cocina]cultivo de bacterias necesario para iniciar ciertos procesos de fermentaciónMore example sentences
- Then a starter culture of lactic streptococci and lactobacilli bacteria is added.
- The traditional process of cheesemaking ensues when the bacteria in the starter culture begin growing by fermenting the lactose in the milk into lactic acid.
- Fruit may contribute undesirable yeasts and bacteria to the yogurt, making it a poor starter culture.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The deck of cards used in Spain is called the baraja francesa. The four suits are oros, copas, espadas, and bastos, corresponding to diamonds, hearts, spades, and clubs. Each suit has nine numbered cards and three face cards - jack (sota), knight, and king. There is no queen.