Translation of starter in Spanish:
- 1 [Cookery/Cocina] entrada (feminine), primer plato (masculine), entrante (masculine) (Spain/España) for starters [colloquial/familiar] para empezarExample sentences
- Even at buffet dinners, it is advisable to stick to the usual schedule of salads, soups, starters, main course and dessert.
- It offered the usual salads, starters, cooked meals, wines and rakias as well as a decent selection of seafood dishes at very good prices.
- From finger foods and starters to main courses, pastry and puddings, he has produced a range of ingenious recipes to tempt even the most committed carnivore.
- 2 [Sport/Deporte] 2.1 (official) juez (masculine and feminine) de salida 2.2 (competitor) participante (masculine and feminine), competidor, (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- Worse still, every paper lists him as a definite starter in Sunday's game.
- Hold That Tiger is the only one of O'Brien's potential starters to have raced in the United States this year.
- Paraneck Stable's former classic starter Griffinite has been retired due to a slight ligament strain in his left front leg.
- ‘The starter held the race while the announcer told people I was retiring,’ said Hickman.
- As the starters signalled the first race a light rain signalled the wintry conditions at Munich's Olympic regatta course.
- Tarapore and Kapila even had the discomfiture of being fined five penalty points for jumping the starter's gun in the second race.
- 3 (person) he was a slow/late starter at school fue de desarrollo lento/tardío en el colegioExample sentences
- Also a serious Palme d' Or contender, Chunhyang is a slow starter.
- Despite the crowd's obvious enthusiasm, the gig was a slow starter.
- He may have been a slow starter, but lately O'Shea has been surging forward.
- 4 [Cars/Automovilismo] motor (masculine) de arranqueExample sentences
- When you turn the ignition key, the starter motor spins the engine a few revolutions so that the combustion process can start.
- From the darkened bar from which I dictate this missive, I can hear the starter engines revving up!
- The difference is there is a helicopter starter engine that always keeps the turbo spinning at high revs, and hence the power.
- 5starter (culture) [Biology/Biología] [Cookery/Cocina][ cultivo de bacterias necesario para iniciar ciertos procesos de fermentación ]Example sentences
- Then a starter culture of lactic streptococci and lactobacilli bacteria is added.
- The traditional process of cheesemaking ensues when the bacteria in the starter culture begin growing by fermenting the lactose in the milk into lactic acid.
- Fruit may contribute undesirable yeasts and bacteria to the yogurt, making it a poor starter culture.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Spain, a gestoría is an office that deals with government agencies on behalf of its clients. It is common practice to use a gestoría to avoid the problems of dealing with Spanish bureaucracy, despite the cost involved.