- 1 [Cookery/Cocina] entrada (feminine), primer plato (masculine), entrante (masculine) (Spain/España) for starters [colloquial/familiar] para empezarMore example sentences
- Even at buffet dinners, it is advisable to stick to the usual schedule of salads, soups, starters, main course and dessert.
- It offered the usual salads, starters, cooked meals, wines and rakias as well as a decent selection of seafood dishes at very good prices.
- From finger foods and starters to main courses, pastry and puddings, he has produced a range of ingenious recipes to tempt even the most committed carnivore.
- 2 [Sport/Deporte] 2.1 (official) juez (masculine and feminine) de salida 2.2 (competitor) participante (masculine and feminine), competidor, (masculine, feminine)More example sentences
More example sentences
- Worse still, every paper lists him as a definite starter in Sunday's game.
- Hold That Tiger is the only one of O'Brien's potential starters to have raced in the United States this year.
- Paraneck Stable's former classic starter Griffinite has been retired due to a slight ligament strain in his left front leg.
- ‘The starter held the race while the announcer told people I was retiring,’ said Hickman.
- As the starters signalled the first race a light rain signalled the wintry conditions at Munich's Olympic regatta course.
- Tarapore and Kapila even had the discomfiture of being fined five penalty points for jumping the starter's gun in the second race.
- 3 (person) he was a slow/late starter at school fue de desarrollo lento/tardío en el colegioMore example sentences
- Also a serious Palme d' Or contender, Chunhyang is a slow starter.
- Despite the crowd's obvious enthusiasm, the gig was a slow starter.
- He may have been a slow starter, but lately O'Shea has been surging forward.
- 4 [Cars/Automovilismo] motor (masculine) de arranqueMore example sentences
- When you turn the ignition key, the starter motor spins the engine a few revolutions so that the combustion process can start.
- From the darkened bar from which I dictate this missive, I can hear the starter engines revving up!
- The difference is there is a helicopter starter engine that always keeps the turbo spinning at high revs, and hence the power.
- 5starter (culture) [Biology/Biología] [Cookery/Cocina][ cultivo de bacterias necesario para iniciar ciertos procesos de fermentación ]More example sentences
- Then a starter culture of lactic streptococci and lactobacilli bacteria is added.
- The traditional process of cheesemaking ensues when the bacteria in the starter culture begin growing by fermenting the lactose in the milk into lactic acid.
- Fruit may contribute undesirable yeasts and bacteria to the yogurt, making it a poor starter culture.
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In Spain, pinchos are small portions of food, often on a cocktail stick, eaten in a bar or cafe. Often free, they are similar to