Translation of starve in Spanish:
- 1 (deny food)privar de comida aI'm starved (American English) [colloquial]
hacer pasar hambre ame muero de hambreto starve oneself
tengo un hambre canina [colloquial]pasar hambreto starve somebody into surrenderobligar a alguien a rendirse a causa del hambrethey starved the rebels outesperaron a que el hambre obligara a los rebeldes a salir de su esconditeExample sentences
- Otherwise, we'd all have frozen and starved to death.
- A prisoner has starved to death after fasting for seven months, becoming the 48th person to die in hunger strikes protesting against changes to Turkey's prison system.
- There is no cause to regret the passing of that system - millions of peasants starved to death - and those who now point to the absence of school fees in that period are at any rate one-sided.
- 2 (deprive)to starve something/somebody
ofsomethingprivar algo/a child starved of love aalguien dealgoun niño privado de cariñoto be starved for news/encouragementestar sediento de noticias/apoyoExample sentences
- Not a duff track among them, honestly, and the thing didn't even make it past 20 minutes, so naturally I was starved for more.
- Wavell believed that he was being starved of the necessary reinforcements which he believed he needed and he resigned in February 1942.
- Mullan speaks about his children with affection, something he was starved of by his own father, Charles.
- (die)morirse de hambre(feel hungry) pasar hambrethey all starved (to death)todos se murieron de hambre or de inaniciónI'm starving (British English) [colloquial]me muero de hambrehe's starving for affection
tengo un hambre canina [colloquial]tiene sed de cariñoExample sentences
- It was getting near to midday and I was starving hungry.
- I was ravenously starving all the time and I have nothing but admiration for people who manage this lifestyle.
- Everyone was famished, desperate and starving.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.