Translation of state in Spanish:
- 1 countable 1.1 (condition) liquid/solid statestate of siege/warestado líquido/sólidostate of emergency state of readiness State of the Union message (American English)estado de sitio/guerrait's in a poor state of repairmensaje (masculine) or informe (masculine) presidencial sobre el estado de la Naciónstate of health state of mind I was in no (fit) state to make a decisionestá en bastante mal estadowhat a (dreadful) state of affairs!no estaba en condiciones de tomar una decisiónthe state of play (British English)¡qué situación tan lamentable!la situaciónel estado de cosasExample sentences1.2 (poor condition) [colloquial]just look at the state of your fingernails!
my bedroom's in a state¡mira cómo tienes esas uñas!she always leaves the kitchen in a statetengo el dormitorio hecho un caostengo el dormitorio patas (para) arriba [colloquial]siempre deja la cocina hecha un asco [colloquial]Example sentences
- And final confirmation of my poor state of mind from lack of sleep came when Mark returned from going out.
- At times she is combative, at times submissive, according to the situation and her state of mind.
- A positive state of mind is also thought to be of great help in protecting against such problems.
Example sentences1.3 (anxious condition) [colloquial]to be in/get (oneself) into a state about something
- One day one of his students came to see him in a state of some agitation.
- Eric is hopping about in a state of excited agitation.
- He became fearful and went back into the bedroom in a state of agitation, his heart beating loudly.
don't get yourself into such a state!estar/ponerse nervioso por algo¡no te pongas así!
- Sometimes the pool areas and the cubicles were in a disgustingly dirty state.
- The couple have paid the charges since they bought the flat but have been complaining to the council about the state of the communal area.
- But now parish councillors have heard that he has written to complain about the state of the area's toilets.
- 2 2.1 countable (division of country) the State of Texasthe Statesel estado de Tejas(before noun) state highway (American English)los Estados Unidos(law/taxes/police)autopista (feminine) del estado(in US)state prison (American English)del estadoState Representative (American English) (Politics)prisión (feminine) estatal2.2 countable (nation) independent stateRepresentante (masculine and feminine) del Estado(before noun) state apartmentsestado independiente(aposentos donde se recibe a monarcas o altos funcionarios)state banquetExample sentences
- Mexico is a federal republic, consisting of thirty one states and one federal district.
- As you know, she and the president have been making their rounds throughout the various states and the areas that were hardest hit.
- Your vote is still counted and since we have an electorial college it allows for people in smaller states and from rural areas to have a vote as well.
- 3 uncountable and countable (government) affairs of stateChurch and Stateasuntos (masculine plural) de estadola Iglesia y el Estado(before noun) (especially British English)state educationthe state sectorenseñanza (feminine) públicastate securityel sector estatal or públicoseguridad (feminine) nacionalExample sentences
- Therefore reformists deduce that no direct challenge to the state is necessary and civil society can be reformed.
- Thereafter, in bad health, he took little part in military or civil affairs of state.
- Now, the attack on executives is at the forefront of the state's intrusion on civil liberties.
- (person)(name/address)(orally)I'm merely stating the factsyou have half an hour to state your casesimplemente estoy exponiendo los hechoshe stated that he had seen her there earliertiene media hora para exponer su casoto state one's viewsafirmó haberla visto antes allíhe clearly stated that he would not stand for electiondar su ( or mi etc) opiniónexponer su ( or mi etc) punto de vistathe contract states that …dijo or manifestó claramente que no se presentaría a las eleccionesas stated in the minutesel contrato establece or estipula que …as stated abovecomo figura or consta en las actascomo se indica más arribaExample sentences
- As the newspaper's report clearly stated, the activity has been taking place since February this year.
- The report clearly stated that the quality of the clergy had to be improved.
- It states clearly that the aim of cannabis legislation should be to focus on preventing under-age use.
- The fact is I have stated a case, and unless someone seeks to dissolve it, perhaps you should get on with it.
- The applicant now applies with leave for judicial review of the Justices' refusal to state a case
- Subsequently the Crown Court stated a Case - there is now an appeal by way of Case Stated against the ruling.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.