Translation of state in Spanish:
- 1 countable 1.1 (condition) liquid/solid stateestado líquido/sólidostate of siege/warestado de sitio/guerrastate of emergency state of readiness State of the Union message (US)mensaje (masculine) presidencial sobre el estado de la Naciónit's in a poor state of repair
informe (masculine) presidencial sobre el estado de la Naciónestá en bastante mal estadostate of healthestado (masculine) de saludstate of mind I was in no (fit) state to make a decision
salud (feminine)no estaba en condiciones de tomar una decisiónwhat a (dreadful) state of affairs!¡qué situación tan lamentable!the state of play (British)la situación
el estado de cosasExample sentences1.2 (poor condition) [colloquial]just look at the state of your fingernails!
¡mira cómo tienes esas uñas!my bedroom's in a statetengo el dormitorio hecho un caostengo el dormitorio patas (para) arriba [colloquial]she always leaves the kitchen in a statesiempre deja la cocina hecha un asco [colloquial]Example sentences
- And final confirmation of my poor state of mind from lack of sleep came when Mark returned from going out.
- At times she is combative, at times submissive, according to the situation and her state of mind.
- A positive state of mind is also thought to be of great help in protecting against such problems.
Example sentences1.3 (anxious condition) [colloquial]to be in/get (oneself) into a state about something
- One day one of his students came to see him in a state of some agitation.
- Eric is hopping about in a state of excited agitation.
- He became fearful and went back into the bedroom in a state of agitation, his heart beating loudly.
estar/ponerse nervioso por algodon't get yourself into such a state!¡no te pongas así!
- Sometimes the pool areas and the cubicles were in a disgustingly dirty state.
- The couple have paid the charges since they bought the flat but have been complaining to the council about the state of the communal area.
- But now parish councillors have heard that he has written to complain about the state of the area's toilets.
- 2 2.1 countable (division of country) the State of Texasel estado de Tejasthe States (before noun) state highway (US)autopista (feminine) del estado(law/taxes/police)(in US) del estadostate prison (US)
estatalprisión (feminine) estatalState Representative (US) (Politics)Representante (masculine or feminine) del EstadoExample sentences2.2 countable (nation) independent state
estado independiente(before noun) state apartments(aposentos donde se recibe a monarcas o altos funcionarios)state banquet
- Mexico is a federal republic, consisting of thirty one states and one federal district.
- As you know, she and the president have been making their rounds throughout the various states and the areas that were hardest hit.
- Your vote is still counted and since we have an electorial college it allows for people in smaller states and from rural areas to have a vote as well.
- 3 uncountable and countable (government) affairs of stateasuntos (masculine plural) de estadoChurch and Statela Iglesia y el Estado(before noun) (esp British)state education
estatalenseñanza (feminine) públicathe state sectorel sector estatal or públicostate securityseguridad (feminine) nacionalExample sentences
- Therefore reformists deduce that no direct challenge to the state is necessary and civil society can be reformed.
- Thereafter, in bad health, he took little part in military or civil affairs of state.
- Now, the attack on executives is at the forefront of the state's intrusion on civil liberties.
exponer(orally) decirI'm merely stating the factssimplemente estoy exponiendo los hechosyou have half an hour to state your casetiene media hora para exponer su casohe stated that he had seen her there earlierafirmó haberla visto antes allíto state one's viewsdar su ( or mi etc. ) opiniónhe clearly stated that he would not stand for election
exponer su ( or mi etc. ) punto de vistadijo or manifestó claramente que no se presentaría a las eleccionesthe contract states that …el contrato establece or estipula que …as stated in the minutescomo figura or consta en las actasas stated abovecomo se indica más arribaExample sentences
- As the newspaper's report clearly stated, the activity has been taking place since February this year.
- The report clearly stated that the quality of the clergy had to be improved.
- It states clearly that the aim of cannabis legislation should be to focus on preventing under-age use.
- The fact is I have stated a case, and unless someone seeks to dissolve it, perhaps you should get on with it.
- The applicant now applies with leave for judicial review of the Justices' refusal to state a case
- Subsequently the Crown Court stated a Case - there is now an appeal by way of Case Stated against the ruling.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.