Translation of steam in Spanish:
- vapor (masculine) the engine is driven by steam el motor funciona a vapor full steam ahead! ¡a todo vapor! his work is going full steam ahead su trabajo va viento en popa to get up steam [person/worker] ponerse* en movimiento (lit) [engine/driver] dar* presión to let off o blow off steam desahogarse*, dar* rienda suelta a su ( or mi etc) indignación ( or energía etc) to run out of steam [person/project] perder* ímpetu under one's own steam por sus ( or mis etc) propios medios (before noun/delante del nombre) [boiler/locomotive/turbine] de or a vaporExample sentences
- Murrays' Mills in Ancoats are 200 years old and were among the first buildings in the world to use steam to power machines.
- With the arrival of steam as a power source, doctors could treat hysteria in the office using new devices developed for this purpose.
- They can be cut and burnt to produce steam to power turbines.
- For generations, its very name has conjured up the glory days of Britain's railways when steam was king and every town had a station.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1 (give off steam) echar vapor; [hot food] humear
- 2 (+ adverb complement/+ adverbio predicativo) 2.1 (move under steam power) the train steamed into the station el tren entró en la estación echando vapor 2.2 (move quickly) [colloquial/familiar] I was steaming along on my bike iba volando or a toda velocidad en la bici our class is steaming ahead nuestra clase avanza a todo vapor or a toda máquina
steam over steam up 1
steam up verb + adverb/verbo + adverbio [window/glass] empañarse 1.1verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento [window/glass] empañar to be/get steamed up about sth people are getting steamed up about the issue se están caldeando los ánimos al respecto she was all steamed up about his critical remarks estaba indignada por sus críticas
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...