adjective -er, -est
- 1 1.1(slope/hill/stairs)
en picada or (Spain) en picadoExample sentences1.2 (large)
- Bungling bureaucrats even failed to inform people that there was a problem with the stairlift and that the only way to get to the first floor centre was up a steep flight of stairs.
- Proposed changes include moving the box office, which is currently at the top of a steep flight of stairs, to the ground floor.
- Getting on to the platforms is a huge problem for him as he is faced with steep flights of stairs he must climb before reaching the platforms.
- These associations started in Europe and the United States some 30 years ago at a time of rapid expansion in the road traffic industry and a steep rise in road traffic injuries.
- Big corporations, meanwhile, will get hit especially hard by the steep rise in property taxes.
- Despite steep rises in crime after the 1960s similar to Britain, countries such as America, France and Germany have all been more effective at tackling it.
- 2 (excessive) [colloquial] 2.1 (of prices) he charged me $200 — that's a bit steep!me cobró 200 dólares — ¡qué caro! or ¡se le fue un poco la mano!Example sentences2.2 (unreasonable)
poco razonableit's a bit steep to expect them to work without a breakno es muy razonable que digamos, esperar que trabajen sin un descanso
- For the sake of peace, Israel paid the steep price Oslo demanded.
- But banks could end up paying a steep price for such fees if any of the complex deals start to unravel - a higher risk in the middle of an economic downturn.
- Merchants could pay a steep price for stiffing shoppers.
- (to soften, clean)remojar
dejar en or a remojo(to flavor) macerarsteeped in ignorancesumido en una ignorancia supinaa city steeped in historyuna ciudad de gran riqueza históricaa playwright steeped in classical Greek theaterun dramaturgo empapado del teatro griego clásicoExample sentences
- Tea was steeped, cakes and cookies presented, comfortable seats procured for the triplet to lounge in.
- I was still amused by this all; I had never actually seen someone go to the trouble of coming to a café so they could get water, and steep their own tea.
- Originally only consisting of three seats, the new Green T House is 50,000 square feet of slightly wavy lines and designer hot water steeping designer tea leaves.
- Cover the mixture, steep for two hours, then strain it through muslin cloth into a suitable watering can or pump-spray bottle.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.