- 1(ship)the truck was steering a straight course
gobernarel camión avanzaba en línea rectathe captain steered (a course) for homeel capitán puso rumbo a casawe must steer a moderate coursetenemos que adoptar una línea moderadato steer one's way to steer one's way through the crowdabrirse paso entre la multitudshe steered her way through the difficultiesfue sorteando las dificultadeshe steered his way into portentró a puertoExample sentences
- The free swiveling nose wheel is steered by differential brakes, rudder and throttles and the aircraft is very maneuverable on the ground.
- They probably incapacitated the flight crews, then took over the controls and steered the aircraft into their targets, the experts said.
- The rudder is all what you have to steer the airplane.
- 2 (guide) she steered the conversation around to the subject of moneyllevó or desvió la conversación hacia el tema del dinerothey're steering investment away from traditional industriesestán desviando or alejando la inversión de las industrias tradicionalesExample sentences
- I attempted to steer the conversation towards another course.
- Dennis Bergkamp swings in a free-kick from the left, Gilberto flicks it goalwards and it fizzes narrowly wide. Patrick Vieira lunged in an attempt to steer the ball home, but to no avail.
- After thirty minutes, she attempted to steer the conversation away from himself before she went insane.
- 1 (Nautical)estar or ir al timón(Cars)to steer by a compass/the stars
ir al volanteguiarse por la brújula/las estrellashe steered south/for the harbornavegó hacia el Sur/con rumbo al puertoI steered toward the left (Cars)giré el volante hacia la izquierdato steer clear of something/somebodyevitar algo/a alguiensteer well clear of themno tengas nada que ver con ellosI'd steer clear of that part of town
evítalos a toda costayo no me metería en esa parte de la ciudadExample sentences
- The driver steered into trees and bushes at the side of the road to try to slow the vehicle.
- The charioteers were crack units of specially-trained frogmen who sat astride a 30 ft-long torpedo which they steered into enemy harbours.
- After detecting objects using a front-mounted camera, the obstacle's presence is noted by the Linux-based computer, and the bike steers around it.
- 1 (young bull)Example sentences
- Beef cattle sold included steers, heifers not kept for replacements, and market bulls and cows.
- Organizers plan to slaughter fed cattle, Holstein steers and cows at the plant and produce specialty beef for Jewish and Muslim markets.
- English has cattle, cows, bulls, bullocks, heifers, steers, oxen, and a few more [and spot who has never been good on where ox ends and oxen begin].
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.