Translation of stigma in Spanish:
noun plural -mas
- 1 (disgrace)Example sentences
- There is no longer any social stigma attached to soft drug use, and the statistics bear this out.
- The aim is to remove the social stigma attached to the disease.
- Flynn says that she and the team were determined to remove the stigma attached to working away from the office.
- 2plural -mas or -mata(Botany)Example sentences
- Cotton swabs were used to apply the pollen to receptive stigmas on a mother plant.
- Pollinations were performed in June by applying the cotton stick loaded with pollen on the receptive stigmas.
- A given pollen grain blowing in the wind is thus unlikely to land on a receptive stigma.
- 3also: stigmata plural(Religion)Example sentences
- He had long ago sought out and met Father Pio de Pietraicina, the Italian Capuchin monk who suffered the stigmata of Christ's crucifixion.
- On September 20, 1918 five wounds, which he claimed were sent from God as the stigmata of Christ, appeared on his body, which if genuine, made him the first and only stigmatized priest in the history of Roman Church.
- Impossible to hide, Padre Pio's stigmata put him in the public eye and made him a center of controversy.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.