Translation of stock in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (supply) (often plural) stocks of coalreservas (feminine plural) de carbónget in a good stock of food/drink for the partycompra bastante comida/bebida para la fiestawe need to get some stocks innecesitamos abastecernos or aprovisionarnosher vast stock of knowledge on the subjectsus amplísimos conocimientos sobre el temaExample sentences1.2 uncountable (of shop, business)
existencias (feminine plural)to have something in stock
- Co-op stores around Swindon have been running low on stock after a regional distribution warehouse in Oxford was flooded.
- He thought the thieves would dispose of the shop's stock at car boot sales or use them for family gifts.
- We are always looking for willing volunteers to help with everything from sorting and preparing stock to merchandising and sales.
stock (masculine)tener algo en estoc or en existenciaswe're out of stock of green onesno nos quedan verdesto take stock
las verdes se han agotado or están agotadas(review situation) hacer un balance
evaluar la situación(lit: make inventory) hacer el inventarioto take stock of somebodyformarse un juicio sobre alguiento take stock of somethinghacer un balance de algo
- 2 (Finance) 2.1 uncountable (shares)acciones (feminine plural)
valores (masculine plural)(government securities) bonos (masculine plural) del EstadoI have some stock in that company
papel (masculine) del Estadotengo algunas acciones en esa compañíacommon stock (American English) Treasury stock (American English)(corporate) autocartera (feminine)(of UK government) títulos (masculine plural) de la deuda públicato put o take stock in something (American English)dar crédito a algo(before noun) stock certificatetítulo (masculine) de accionesstock dividend
certificado (masculine) de accionesdividendo (masculine) en accionesstock ratingcalificación (feminine) de valoresExample sentences2.2stocks and bonds o (British English) stocks and shares
acciones (feminine plural)(including government securities) acciones (feminine plural) y bonos (masculine plural) del Estado2.3 (reputation) his stock with the other teachers is highlos demás profesores tienen muy buen concepto de élhis stock is rising in the eyes of the electorateestá ganando cada vez más prestigio entre el electorado
- However, when you start your Open Annuity, you also buy a special preference share in the insurance company operating it.
- In 1997 they retained their first preference share but lost more than half their seats because their vote was spread over too many candidates.
- Company head Dan Brown said at the meeting that existing shareholders would have an opportunity to purchase one preference share at $1.00 for every five ordinary share currently owned.
- 3 uncountable (livestock) (before noun) stock farmerganadero, (-ra) (masculine, feminine)stock farmingganadería (feminine)
cría (feminine) de ganadoExample sentences
- Perhaps he would enthusiastically support moves for greater commercial use of kangaroos, rather than the hoofed stock, sheep and cattle, that break the crust.
- Other potential agricultural applications of Fantesk include sprays, coatings for nursery stock, and livestock feed additives.
- The club also organizes visits to leading dairy farms and research institutes, holds dairy stock judging events and herds competitions.
- 4 uncountable (descent) I'm of Spanish/pioneer stocksoy descendiente de españoles/pionerosto come of good stockser de buena familiaExample sentences
- The Dogras inhabiting the hilly tract bounding the mountains of the Kashmir Valle on the south and extending to the plains of the Punjab, are descended from Aryan stock.
- During these difficult times he was faithfully supported and encouraged by his wife, who was descended from good Puritan stock.
- Much of my Yorkshire stock descended from the Viking Raids of the 9th century.
- 5 countable 5.1 (stem)(of tree) tronco (masculine)(of vine) cepa (feminine)(for grafting onto) patrón (masculine)
portainjerto (masculine)Example sentences
Example sentences5.2 (for cuttings)
- Always try to plant bare-root stock as soon as you get home.
- With container grown stock, the plant has been growing in a container for a period of time.
- Yet, there are many budget-minded owners who still believe that money can be saved by planting smaller seedling stock.
planta (feminine) madre
- Many of the modern roses in commerce today are grafted onto these stocks.
- Of particular concern are roses grafted onto R. fortuniana root stocks - stocks with notoriously shallow root zones.
- Grey rectangles indicate the presence of a rooted stock.
- 6 countable 6.1 (of gun)Example sentences6.2 (of fishing rod, whip)
- It halved the rifle where the stock joined the barrel, and two fingers from the weasel's right paw fell to the forest floor.
- Rolling left to lie prone, I shoved the rifle stock to my shoulder and dared to reconnoiter by peeping over a twisted root.
- Making a splint from a rifle stock, he again treated himself and managed to crawl back to an aid station.
- The silky voice became a bark as he fingered the stock of a whip lying across his knees.
- 7 uncountable (Cookery) chicken stockcaldo de polloExample sentences
- Use the caramel-colored water for soup, stock and gravy.
- Keep the basics on hand: frozen marinara and pesto for quick pasta meals, and a simple vegetable or chicken stock for fast soups.
- Even the soup of the day is an intentional creation, using freshly prepared vegetables and stock with fresh meat, fowl, or fish added.
- 8 countable (plant, flower)Example sentences
- To prolong bloom time on pansies, stock, sweet alyssum, snapdragons and other cool-weather plants, clip off flowers as they fade.
- They hold pink cyclamen, maidenhair fern, pink polka-dot plant, and fragrant pink stock.
- Yellow and orange calendulas bloom through winter, as will pink and white English daisies and sweet-scented stock.
- 9also: stocks plural9.1 (in shipbuilding) to be on the stocks(in preparation) estar en preparación(lit: of ship) estar en construcciónExample sentences9.2 (History) (for punishment)the stocks
el cepoExample sentences
- After bracing the bulkheads to the stocks, the longitudinal framing can start going on.
- Every confinement of the person is an imprisonment, whether it be in a common prison, or in a private house, or in the stocks, or even by forcibly detaining one in the public streets.
- A believer in strict discipline, he preferred forms of punishment like putting a prisoner in stocks or shackling him to a ball and chain.
- Among the other stunts for charity, they plan to don wet suits at Sea World and get in the stocks at Stirling Jail.
- 10 uncountable(American English) (Theater) (no article)
repertorio (masculine)(before noun) (play/company)
- 1 (Business) we don't stock that brandno vendemos esa marca
no trabajamos esa marcaExample sentences
- The High Street giant wants to add potency to its sales performance by stocking products which would really set pulses racing.
- The shortbread is seen as a luxury product principally stocked by dollar-based supermarkets.
- She did a roaring mail-order trade and stocked her products in ‘fine’ chemists.
- 2 (fill)(larder)the store is well stocked with the latest fashions
llenarla tienda tiene un gran surtido de prendas de última modato stock (up) the freezerllenar el congeladorthe poultry farm was stocked with good layersel criadero tenía buenas ponedorasto stock a lake with fishpoblar un lago de pecesExample sentences
- Muleteers provide aid stations stocked with Peruvian cheese sandwiches, coca tea, and other energy foods along every trail; camps await runners at the end of each day.
- Like any analog-oriented operation, Remote Recording is stocked with loads of outboard gear and 200 microphones from all major manufacturers.
- The Blue Horizon was stocked with a large supply of caffeinated drinks and she was delighted to have so much to live on.
adjective before noun
(Business)to stock up
hacer un estoc
proveerse de existencias
hacer un estoc
proveerse de existencias
más vale que compremos bastante café or hagamos una buena provisión de café antes de que subathey are stocking up with fancy goods for Christmas
están haciendo un estoc de artículos para regalo para Navidad
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.