Translation of stop in Spanish:
- 1 (halt)to work without a stoptrabajar sin pararwork progressed in stops and starts
trabajar sin hacer una pausa or un altoel trabajo avanzaba a trompicones or a tropezoneswork was at a stop for monthsel trabajo estuvo interrumpido or paralizado durante mesesto bring something to a stopdetener or parar algo(conversation/proceedings)the accident brought the traffic to a complete stop
poner fin a or interrumpir algoel accidente paralizó el tráficoto come to a stop (vehicle/aircraft)detenerse(production/conversation)to put a stop to something
interrumpirseponer fin a algoto put a stop on a check
acabar con algodar orden de no pagar un chequeExample sentences
- It was almost a disappointment when we came to a stop at the edge of clearing where a herd of deer were grazing.
- After completing a number of revolutions, the carousel began to slow and came to a stop.
- The game we'd been playing with the boys came to a stop, and I rolled my eyes.
- 2 2.1 (break on journey) we made a stop at a service station to have coffeeparamos en una estación de servicio para tomar un caféafter an overnight stop in Madriddespués de hacer noche or de pasar la noche en MadridExample sentences2.2 (of bus)
- As the self-confessed ‘biggest slob in the world’ he enjoys sailing holidays filled with impromptu tea breaks and pub stops.
- When traveling long distances, plan the trip to include rest stops and breaks.
- Also, make stops for bathroom breaks, leg-stretching, sightseeing and drink refills.
paradero (masculine) (Latin America exc River Plate area)(of train, underground) estación (feminine)you have to get out/off at the next stopse tiene que bajar en la próxima (parada)Example sentences
- The bus goes off on its merry way and picks up a zillion passengers at the next stop.
- Buses could also pick up passengers without pulling into stops.
- Designated stops will be constructed, with special ramps to allow easy access by passengers onto the taxis and buses.
- 4 (Music) (on organ) to pull out all the stopstocar todos los registros
hacer uso de todos los recursos posiblesExample sentences
- Specific ranks of pipes may be brought into and out of play by means of stops.
- These organs were played only with sliding stops, not a keyboard like a modern organ.
- It also has a cathedral housing the biggest organ in the world: 17,388 pipes and 231 stops.
- 5 5.1 (stopping device)(on typewriter) marginador (masculine)5.2 (Photography)Example sentences
- When you go through the finished prints you will be able to see the results of 2 complete stops of exposure difference.
- Remove the film, stop down 4 stops, and give a flash exposure.
- Underexposing by one to two stops intensifies the effect.
- 6stop (consonant) (Linguistics)consonante (feminine) oclusivaExample sentences
- Taiwanese has final consonant stops, and Mandarin doesn't.
- Many varieties of Chinese, including both Mandarin and Cantonese, do not distinguish voiced and voiceless stops and affricates.
- For example, the aspirated series of stops and affricates are written by adding a horizontal stroke to the letters for the plain series.
transitive verb -pp-
- 1 1.1 (halt)(taxi/bus)I stopped a passing car to ask for help
pararparé (a) un coche que pasaba para pedir auxiliowe were stopped by the policenos paró la policíahe stopped the ball with his footparó la pelota con el piedemonstrators stopped the trafficlos manifestantes pararon or detuvieron el tráficoExample sentences1.2 (from escaping) 1.3 (brake) I stopped the car and got out
paré or detuve el coche y me bajéExample sentences1.4 (switch off)
- He was stopped, ordered out of the car and a computer check showed the car had been reported stolen.
- She tried to get upstairs but was stopped and also ordered to get down onto the floor.
- But there was no mechanical defect which would have caused the car to have been stopped and parked.
- Early Friday morning, the captain announced that the engine had stopped and the ship was taking on water.
- The problem is, what if the engine stops while he is already on the fast lane of a nearby toll road?
- You would be cruising along and, suddenly without warning, the engine just stopped.
- 2 2.1 (bring to an end, interrupt)(discussion/abuse)stop that noise!
poner fin a
acabar con¡deja de hacer ruido!his statement stopped speculationsus declaraciones pusieron fin a la especulaciónthe trial was stoppedse suspendió el juiciothe company has stopped production of this modella compañía ha dejado de producir este modelothe aim is to stop the cancer in its early stagesel objetivo es detener el avance del cáncer en su fase inicialrain stopped playla lluvia interrumpió el partidoExample sentences2.2 (cease) stop what you're doing and listen to me
deja lo que estás haciendo y escúchamestop it!¡basta ya!stop that nonsense!¡déjate de tonterías!to stop
- They're going to try to do it and I don't think they are going to be capable of stopping the political process.
- It's a lot harder to stop a ritual process midway than to avoid the process entirely.
- And so far, the injections have only stopped the degenerative process, not reversed it.
-ingdejardo stop arguing! de+ infinitive¡dejen de discutir!I'm trying to stop smokingestoy tratando de dejar de fumarI couldn't stop laughingno podía parar de reírmeit hasn't stopped raining all dayno ha parado de llover en todo el díahe never stops talkinghabla sin pararstop saying that!¡no sigas diciendo eso!stop beating about the bushdéjate de rodeosExample sentences
- One child was so traumatised by the experience she could not stop vomiting and had to be hospitalised.
- I'm trying to stay calm but every time I see the adverts on the telly, I can't stop smiling or giggling.
- The others managed not to laugh and my girlfriend poked me to make me stop giggling, but that just made it funnier to me.
- 3 (prevent) I'm going, and you can't stop meme voy y no puedes detenerme or impedírmelowho's/what's stopping you?¿quién/qué te lo impide?there's no stopping us nownadie nos puede parar ahoraI had to tell him, I couldn't stop myselftuve que decírselo, no pude contenermeto stop somebody (
from) -ing(esp British English)impedirle a alguien +the bad weather stopped us (from) going out infinitive
quealguien + subjunctiveel mal tiempo nos impidió salirtry to stop her (from) comingtrata de impedir or de evitar que vengawe had to lock him up to stop him (from) escapinglo tuvimos que encerrar para impedir que se escaparato stop something -ingimpedirto stop something happening quealgo + subjunctiveimpedir que ocurra algowe're trying to stop the airport being built hereestamos tratando de impedir que construyan el aeropuerto aquíExample sentences
- But she is certain that the lack of a bike and the fact the she is not a fan of exercise will not stop her.
- We didn't let that stop us and we continued to court and we were always together.
- I love flying both types and will continue until someone stops me, but the fact remains that a mistake in a sailplane is much more likely to kill you than in a hang glider.
- 4 4.1 (cancel, withhold)(subscription)
cancelar(payment)to stop (payment of) a check
suspenderdar orden de no pagar un chequeExample sentences4.2 (deduct) (British English) the boss stopped £30 out of my wages
el jefe me descontó or me retuvo 30 libras del sueldo
- The defendant stopped the cheque, which was accordingly dishonoured by the drawee bank.
- Don't try and stop the cheque if you want to pay online or over the phone instead.
- Most banks charge, typically £10, for stopping a cheque.
- 5 5.1 (block)(gap)
rellenar(tooth)I stopped my ears with my fingers
empastarme tapé los oídos con los dedosExample sentences5.2 (Music)
- Take the coconut shell and fill with yolk, stopping the hole with your finger.
- Engineers have now secured the hole with wooden boards and an emergency plumber managed to stop the water leak and get the heating back on.
- He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on.
ponerle un registro or una sordina a(French horn)
hacerle sordina a (con la mano)
- 6 6.1 (bring down)Example sentences6.2 (parry) he stopped a bullet
recibió un balazo
- He defended the title another three times, stopping his opponents on each occasion, to put himself in line for the WBA world belt.
- Jones goes on to make six defenses of the IBF super middleweight title, stopping all six of his opponents.
- Ouma did go ahead with the fight, stopping Woods in the 11th round.
intransitive verb -pp-
- 1 1.1 (halt)(vehicle/driver)I stopped to ask a policeman the way
detenerseparé para pedirle indicaciones a un policíastop, thief!¡al ladrón!stop or I'll shoot! stop, police!¡alto, policía!stop right there¡alto ahí!to stop at nothingestar dispuesto a hacer cualquier cosa1.2 (interrupt journey)
no pararse en barras(train/bus)does this train stop at Reading?
parar¿este tren para en Reading?let's stop here and have a resthagamos un alto or paremos aquí para descansarthey stopped in a small village for the nighthicieron noche or pasaron la noche en un pueblecito1.3 (cease operating)(watch/clock/machine)has your watch stopped?
pararse¿se te ha parado el reloj?her breathing has stoppedha dejado de respirarhis heart has stoppedse le ha parado el corazón
su corazón ha dejado de latir
- 2 2.1 (cease, be discontinued) the rain has stoppedha dejado or parado de lloverthe pain/bleeding has stopped
ya no llueveya no le ( or me etc) duele/sale sangrethe noise stoppeddejó de oírse el ruidothis squandering must stopeste derroche tiene que terminarproduction has stopped at the factoryla fábrica ha suspendido la producciónproduction of this model has stoppedeste modelo ya no se fabrica másExample sentences2.2 (interrupt activity) I think I'll stop for a while
creo que voy a parar un ratoshe never stopsno para un minutoyou've done enough work for today: it's time you stopped I didn't stop to thinkno me detuve a pensar
- Remember, your muscle growth stops when your protein does.
- If applied to the scalp twice daily, it may produce some hair growth but is expensive and hair growth stops when treatment is stopped.
- The man slumped down and signalled for an inhaler so a medic was called, but the ordeal did not stop there.
- why don't you stop by tonight?
- 1 (call in) Bill stopped in for a chat
- I stopped off at home to change
- (stay in a place) (British English) [colloquial]
- 1 (not come home) [colloquial]
- 1 (break journey)
- 1verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object 1.1 (block) (usually passive) 1.2 (fill) 2verb + adverb (Photography)
¿por qué no (te) pasas por aquí ( or por casa etc) esta noche?I stopped by (at) the store for some milk
pasé por la tienda para comprar leche
reducir la apertura del diafragma
Bill pasó por aquí para charlar2 (stay inside)
(stay at home) quedarse en casa
pasé por casa para cambiarmewe stopped off in San Juan for a few hours
paramos unas horas en San Juan
no volver a casa
quedarse por ahí [colloquial]2 (on strike) [colloquial]
(overnight) hacer nochewe plan to stop over in New York for a day or two
pasar la noche
pasar la noche
pensamos parar or quedarnos en Nueva York un par de días2 (Aviation)
aumentar la apertura del diafragma3verb + adverb (British English) → stay up 2
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.