Translation of straddle in Spanish:
- 1 (sit, stand astride)(horse)he straddled the chair
sentarse a horcajadas sobrese sentó a caballo or a horcajadas en la sillaa bridge straddles the borderun puente une los dos lados de la fronterathe town straddles the riverla ciudad se extiende a ambas orillas del ríoa man who straddles the worlds of politics and show businessun hombre con un pie en el mundo de la política y otro en el del espectáculoExample sentences
- He turned the chair around and straddled it at the side of the bed, leaning his chin on the back, peering at me like he'd just uncovered a new species of primate.
- But here they are again, six whalers sitting as they used to, straddling chairs built from wooden boxes with binoculars attached to the high backs.
- He cried out and rolled on his side as she straddled him and grabbed the collar of his jacket.
- 3 (be noncomittal about) (US)(issue/question)
- He straddles issues with as much vigor as most politicians, but nonetheless manages to retain a reputation as a straight talking guy who says what he means and means what he says.
- But long ago he blew a chance by straddling the war issue - opposing going to war without a multilateral coalition yet empowering Bush to do so.
- The Democrats' leaders in Congress have tried to straddle the issue.
- (Sport)Example sentences
- Well the toe-touch is where you jump and your legs go out like a straddle, as if you were sitting on the floor with your legs out in a straddle, and you've got to touch your toes.
- The height of romanticism; there was little else I could do apart from down my drink, suppress a ladylike belch and swing my legs around you in an elegant straddle.
- The hardest part of this trick is getting your hips to start moving upward from the straddle.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.